OK, OK, time for me to step in. 20 some odd years ago, I repaired TVs for
pocket money whilst in high school. In my junior & senior year I took Radio
& TV repair at vocational school (where they sent folks not deemed suitable
for college). After high school, I went on to earn a BS in electrical
engineering I think I have some credentials for issuing an opinion on this
subject.

Cathode ray tubes (CRTs) require an operating voltage in the 30K volt range.
Furthermore, the physical structure of a CRT acts as a capacitor which will
retain this 30KV charge even after the monitor is turned off. Depending on
the leakage current, this charge can last for a long time (months).

Now 30KV sounds like a lot of juice, but you have to understand that it is
current, and the length of time the current is applied that kills you, not
voltage. A CRT acts as a capacitor, but a very small one. If a CRT
discharges through you, current flows only for a *very* short time - not
enough time to do any damage. It is exactly the same as walking across a
carpeted floor with rubber sole shoes in the winter and seeing a nice fat
blue spark jump from your finger to a doorknob. The very small capacitor
(you) was charged (by walking across the carpet) and then discharged to
ground (the doorknob). Even though you can build a 10KV charge this way, the
current that flowed as a result does not kill you, or even burn you.

So, you are not going to be killed or burned by monkeying around with an
*unplugged* monitor. You may receive a nasty shock, but no lasting damage,
unless you happen to snag your rapidly retreating arm on a bit of metal
framework and rip a nice gash (don't ask...)

With that said, there is just about zero chance you will be able to fix
anything once inside. Most monitor problems are either power supply or
flyback circuit related - both of which are complicated animals and would
probably require factory literature to troubleshoot and repair. Even if you
could isolate the failed parts, buying replacements would likely prove
impossible.

If you want to open it up and look for something obvious, go ahead (but,
please, with the monitor unplugged). You can discharge the CRT by:

1. take a 2' piece of wire
2. strip a couple of inches of insulation off each end
3. wrap one bare end of the wire securely to some of the monitor's metal
framework (i.e. ground)
4. wrap the other bare end tightly around the shaft of a long, skinny
flat-blade screwdriver.
5. Slide the end of the screwdriver slowly under the rubber boot on the CRT
where the high voltage wire connects. Continue sliding the tip toward the
center of the boot until the tip touches the metal clip in the center of the
boot. Don't be alarmed by the loud crack that happens.

Please, please, please keep in mind that all this applies to an unplugged
monitor. A plugged in monitor with the back off could easily be lethal!

Also, keep in mind that a CRT is a glass bell evacuated to a high vacuum.
While they are not extremely fragile, they should be treated with respect.
They can send glass flying if ruptured.

Lastly, one thing to think about. If you find a simple problem and fix it,
is your unskilled repair going to turn your monitor into a fire hazard?