There is no magic one shot "always do this" answer to this I'm afraid. If
it's a software error, I'd start with the microsoft technet CDs and website
for example, and follow their troubleshooting guide for whatever the error
is that you are getting. If you crashed after recently installing a new
application, contact the vendor for that as well.

If it's a hardware fault, do likewise with whatever troubleshooting stuff
your hardware vendor has supplied.

The time to start thinking about disaster recovery and restores and so on,
imho, is when you are clear that you are not going to get a "fix" or when it
is clear that the fix is going to take longer to appear and work than your
users are willing to wait, which again is something specific to your user
using the affected server and their needs.

--
Robert Moir, MSMVP
IT Systems Engineer,

--
This e-mail is intended for the addressee shown. It contains information
that is confidential and protected from disclosure. Any review,

The contents of this email do not necessarily represent the views or
policies of Luton Sixth Form College, its employees or students.