Not reboot it in the first place?!?!

Since you've ruled out good administrative practice, my first step depends
entirely on why it won't boot - bluescreen or whatever is a wide range of
problems.

First thing is that I ALWAYS shut the box down again, and try restarting it
again. After that, its all gut feel.

Bluescreen - check Technet for the STOP message and see where that leads.

Hardware failure - reseat the component(s) and try again.

Roger D. Seielstad - MCSE
Senior Systems Administrator
Peregrine Systems
Atlanta, GA