Ran into something simular. The user had run out of space on the C drive.
When this happens you are not able to bring the system up or login at all.
We ended up making a bootable NTFS disk if the main partion is NTFS or you
can regular DOS disk to then access the drive and kill files after we
verified that was the problem.