We currently don't backup the Deleted Items folder at all and we have a 7
day deleted items retention after emptying the trash.

We're a law firm and it's so political on what software we use and how we
use it.  They're used to us being able to restore a single mailbox.  I
suggested a recovery / test server but we'd have to restore the entire
database each time we needed just one mailbox and that takes a while and
time is money here.

Karon