-----Original Message-----
From: William Lefkovics [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Posted At: Friday, August 09, 2002 3:14 AM
Posted To: MSExchange Mailing List
Conversation: Backing up Exchange 5.5
Subject: RE: Backing up Exchange 5.5

I realize it works for some people.  It's not for me.  Here's why:

1) They take a loooong time.  At my last position, the priv.edb on several Exchange
servers was huge with several mailboxes exceeding 2GB. Backup windows of 'July' is not
acceptible nor necessary.

2) Brick Level break SIS in the process.  At a previous employer we had an SIS ratio
of 4 (lots of little daily cash spreadsheets and the like getting sent to DL's).  This
means that a BLB backup uses as much as 4 times the total tape.  Now I need an
autoloader to take care of the boxes of tapes required each night.

3) You can't perform a full server restore to point of failure with brick level
backups.  You have to actually perform additional full online backups as well to allow
for full disaster recovery.  More tapes. More time.  More money.

4) A restore of several mailboxes from BLB's will cause the store to grow because of
no SIS.  If my SIS ratio is 2 and some disaster leaves me with only brick-level, my
restore will double the size of the priv.

5) The redundant backups for brick level lower the overall performance of your
exchange server as backups compete with users for CPU cycles and disk reads.  It is
also additional and unnecessary wear and tear on tape drives.

6) Brick Level Backups do not backup items in deleted item retention. As my users
(for email anyway) have always been of the educated variety, they know and use deleted
item recovery as needed.

7) A restore of a mailbox is seldom needed. (Probably the only instance is inadvertant
deletion by an administrator in Exchange5.5)  With deleted item retention set to a
reasonable 30 days or so, and with deleted mailboxes retained in Exchange2000, brick
level backups fall in the category of a waste of time and resources.

8) Backups should not be a helpdesk support option.  They are a disaster recovery
requirement.  With all that tape and time, the convenience of having kanee restore  my
mailbox is so simple I can be more careless with my email.  I can always get my info
restored.

9) Yes, it's true.  For me, I have only done this using ArcServeIT. Because of
comments here in this and other forums, CA took the Exchange agent back to the lab and
did some more fixing on it.  For me it was too little too late.  Basically, BLB's are
not perfect.  Data is not perfectly recreated through the restore process.  Problems
included header info missing, digitally signed emails corrupt, attachments missing.

10) Many, many more reputable and experienced people have shared their horror stories
over and over in this and other forums and newsgroups. So much so that I was relieved
to learn in 1998 that it wasn't just me that felt this way.  The people that have
expressed this opinion I hold in high regard and certainly owe it to myself to try to
understand why the concensus is for or against something.

11) Microsoft provides the utility ExMerge which can be used to backup a single
mailbox to .pst if necessary.  I use this as the last step before deleting a users
mailbox after (s)he have left the company.  It is a simplified, granular alternative
for certain circumstances.

How's that?