Thanks, William.  You've cleared it up for me.  Doubt if I can get them to
change it, but at least I have some info to take to them.

As someone on this list mentioned before, lawyers run the IT dept.  :(

-----Original Message-----
From: William Lefkovics [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 4:14 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Backing up Exchange 5.5

I realize it works for some people.  It's not for me.  Here's why:

1) They take a loooong time.  At my last position, the priv.edb on
several Exchange servers was huge with several mailboxes exceeding 2GB.
Backup windows of 'July' is not acceptible nor necessary.

2) Brick Level break SIS in the process.  At a previous employer we had
an SIS ratio of 4 (lots of little daily cash spreadsheets and the like
getting sent to DL's).  This means that a BLB backup uses as much as 4
times the total tape.  Now I need an autoloader to take care of the
boxes of tapes required each night.

3) You can't perform a full server restore to point of failure with
brick level backups.  You have to actually perform additional full
online backups as well to allow for full disaster recovery.  More tapes.
More time.  More money.

4) A restore of several mailboxes from BLB's will cause the store to
grow because of no SIS.  If my SIS ratio is 2 and some disaster leaves
me with only brick-level, my restore will double the size of the priv.

5) The redundant backups for brick level lower the overall performance
of your exchange server as backups compete with users for CPU cycles and
disk reads.  It is also additional and unnecessary wear and tear on tape
drives.

6) Brick Level Backups do not backup items in deleted item retention. As
my users  (for email anyway) have always been of the educated variety,
they know and use deleted item recovery as needed.

7) A restore of a mailbox is seldom needed. (Probably the only instance
is inadvertant deletion by an administrator in Exchange5.5)  With
deleted item retention set to a reasonable 30 days or so, and with
deleted mailboxes retained in Exchange2000, brick level backups fall in
the category of a waste of time and resources.

8) Backups should not be a helpdesk support option.  They are a disaster
recovery requirement.  With all that tape and time, the convenience of
having kanee restore  my mailbox is so simple I can be more careless
with my email.  I can always get my info restored.

9) Yes, it's true.  For me, I have only done this using ArcServeIT.
Because of comments here in this and other forums, CA took the Exchange
agent back to the lab and did some more fixing on it.  For me it was too
little too late.  Basically, BLB's are not perfect.  Data is not
perfectly recreated through the restore process.  Problems included
header info missing, digitally signed emails corrupt, attachments
missing.

10) Many, many more reputable and experienced people have shared their
horror stories over and over in this and other forums and newsgroups. So
much so that I was relieved to learn in 1998 that it wasn't just me that
felt this way.  The people that have expressed this opinion I hold in
high regard and certainly owe it to myself to try to understand why the
concensus is for or against something.

11) Microsoft provides the utility ExMerge which can be used to backup a
single mailbox to .pst if necessary.  I use this as the last step before
deleting a users mailbox after (s)he have left the company.  It is a
simplified, granular alternative for certain circumstances.

How's that?