From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Exchange Discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 1:59 AM
Subject: Offline Address Book Sync Failure.

> The problem as it stands now is that our Exchange Server cant generate an
> offline address book for the GAL and our users cant download the address
> book to their laptops. This is an MSX 5.5 server and is the only one
> servicing this site. The workstations are a mixture of Windows based OS
> and Outlook clients, whilst the server is NT4 SP6a.
>
> I have already tried the steps in MS Knowledgebase articles Q235898 and
> Q243155 but nothing mentioned in there made any difference to our
> situation.
>
> The exact sequence of events is:
>
> Client tries to download address book from Outlook 97, 98 or 2000. They
> recieve the error
> "An error occurred while opening the Microsoft Exchange offline address
> book files on the Microsoft Exchange Server. See your administrator".
> This is then followed by the error "Unable to download the Offline Address
> Book. The Microsoft Exchange Address Book could not be accessed".
>
> From the client point of view, thats where things stop. In accordance with
> one of the mentioned articles, I then try to create a new offline address
> book, selecting only the tiniest of recipients containers (at one stage we
> created a brand new container for testing, of course we have also tested
> the entire GAL).
> When I hit GENERATE ALL, the process fails stating:
>
> "An error occurred while generating the offline Address Book. To view
> details, see the application event log in the Windows NT Event Viewer on
> the offline Address Book Server.
> Microsoft Exchange Administrator ID no. c1031662"
>
> Checking the Event Log reveals
> "Event ID: 5004
> An error occurred."
>
> Another article describes putting OAB Version 2 and Offline Address Book
> in the folders on this information store list. We have checked the
> instances and both of these folders are located on the Public Information
> Store of the server.
>
> We have experienced a similar situation previously, but it was in a
> multiple server exchange site. I believe the resolution there was the
> total removal of Offline Address Book and then re-installing it. (I THINK
> that was the solution anyway).
>
> Can anyone shed some light on what might be causing this and more
> importantly, what will fix it?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Luke

The information contained in this message or any of its attachments may be
confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). Any
disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this
communication is strictly prohibited without the express permission of the sender. The
views expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily those of
Sony or Sony affiliated companies. Sony email is for business use only.

(04)