From: Webb, Andy [mailto:Andy.Webb@;swinc.com]
Sent: 06 November 2002 16:05
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Using a PST for 'overflow'

I think you'd benefit more from something like kvault that moved the
data out to nearline or offline storage, but left it "within" the
Exchange environment.  It will result in far less usage of drive space,
is easily backed up and will result in fewer support calls.  There are
several Exchange Archiving products out there.  None are particularly
cheap, but then what's the total organizational cost of how you're
managing it today?

IT is supposed to be a facilitator of whatever the business does to make
money.  In general individual users do not have the skill or
regimentation to be their own librarians.  That's why in many large
companies there is one, though not in nearly enough companies.  IT
should be helping the users apply the data retention, categorization,
and retrievability policies defined by the librarian.  Any mucking about
with mailbox limits is a treatment of a symptom, not the root causes.

I do understand that servers must be maintained at a "recoverable" level
as defined by formal or informal SLA's.  I just don't believe that
pushing data that people deem "valuable" into unrecoverable and widely
dispersed storage media is the right way to maintain the SLA.

Andy Webb            [EMAIL PROTECTED]      www.swinc.com
Simpler-Webb, Inc.   Austin, TX            512-322-0071
Message-----