Take exception all you like, for the vast majority of companies involved in
health care, patient information is not a priority. Nice that it is in your
organization, but yours is the exception rather than the rule I assure you.
Think insurance companies care about patient confidentiality? Hell, they
don't even care about patients.

Security second to the pentagon? Perhaps taking a page from their book and
setting up public and private networks initially would have solved these
types of issues. If protecting patient data had been a priority from the get
go, I'd expect this would already be in place. Instead, maintaining that
confidentiality was an idea given lip service to while measures were put in
place which were known to trade off security for expediency.

As noble as your organization's intentions are, a thimble full of wine in a
barrel of sewer water, still gets you a barrel of sewer water. That's why
extremely restrictive regulations were enacted.