On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 08:43:08AM +0800, BillK wrote:
> Question: I am looking for real world experiance from someone on how
> well does the ReiserFS handle bad spots on a HD.  I have a disk that
> loses a 1-5 sectors a week.  M$ installs and within a week or so crashes
> so badly that a reinstall is needed.  Ext2 just requires an e2fsck every
> 2-3 weeks to keep on top of them, tho an occaisional file is lost.  So
> does ReiserFS handle such things transparently/dynamicly?  Are there
> disk repair utilities? - are they needed for such a problem?  I
> reinstalled ext2 on this machine recently as its proven its worth in
> this case, but is ReiserFS a better choice?

I don't know how long you have been loosing sectors at this rate, but
however long it is, you have been living on borrowed time. That is usually
an indicator that your drive is about to go belly up. Get a new hard
drive. NOW.

On the other tentacle, have you opened up the box and re-seated all the
cables, power cords, memory modules and socketed ICs? That could be the
source of this problem.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley

PGP signature