On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 11:57:40AM -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:
> > This may be a silly question, but why do you want to move it? "If it
> > works, don't fix it."
>
> As a "learning experience" (this is not yet my main pc)

Ah, ok. Good reason.

> and because I have had a few problems that could be related to it:
>
> 1) grub will not work on it.  lilo does.

Haven't used Grub. LILO does everything I need it to do, so I have seen
no reason to change.

> 2) every so often, after I logout to the main graphic login screen (Mandrake
> 7.1) I lose the mouse which restores itself if I restart x.

I doubt very much that's a partitioning issue. You might try this next
time the rodent looses its marbles: hit ctl-alt-F9, which will move you
to a plain vanilla virtual terminal, un-initialized. Then hit ctl-alt-F7,
and you will be back in X. This forces X to re-iniitialize the rodent.

> 3) I was told originally not to do it this way

So? Most of human progress comes from people doing things they were told
not to do.

> > Meanwhile, it would probably help if you gave us a more detailed view of
> > the drive in question. As root:
> >
> > fdisk -l /dev/hdb
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Disk /dev/hdb: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 1090 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdb1   *         2       721   5443200    5  Extended
> /dev/hdb2           833       951    899640   83  Linux
> /dev/hdb3           722       745    181440   83  Linux
> /dev/hdb4           746       832    657720   83  Linux
> /dev/hdb5             2        76    566968+   6  FAT16
> /dev/hdb6            77       146    529168+   6  FAT16
> /dev/hdb7           147       187    309928+   6  FAT16
> /dev/hdb8           188       201    105808+   6  FAT16
> /dev/hdb9           202       243    317488+   6  FAT16
> /dev/hdb10          244       354    839128+   6  FAT16
> /dev/hdb11          456       721   2010928+  83  Linux

Wierd setup. You seem to have one extended partition in the first slot. I
would make the first slot a primary partition so that any version of fdisk
(including Mess-DOS' brain dead version) will see it, and so that anything
can boot to it and/or mount it if need be.

You also appear to have six logical partitions in your one extended
partition. I didn't know you could do that. Mess-DOS fdisk only allow you
to set up four logicals in an extended. I'm surprised Windows even sees
the other two! Although NT seems to be smarter about disk partitioning
than W95/98.

Then you have three primary partitions, not in cylinder order! Wild!

Also, you seem to be wasting cylinder 1. Unfortunately, the partitioning
scheme wastes most of cylinder 0 as well, but there's nothing to be done
about that.

> Partition table entries are not in disk order
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Disk /dev/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 767 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *         2       129    516096    6  FAT16
> /dev/hda2           157       767   2463552    5  Extended
> /dev/hda3           130       156    108864   16  Hidden FAT16
> /dev/hda4             1         1      4000+   a  OS/2 Boot Manager
> /dev/hda5   *       157       238    330592+   6  FAT16
> /dev/hda6   *       239       497   1044256+   6  FAT16
> /dev/hda7   *       498       701    822496+   6  FAT16
> /dev/hda8           702       753    209632+  82  Linux swap
>
> Partition table entries are not in disk order

This one is a bit closer to what I would have expected. First a primary,
bootable partition. Then an extended partition, followed by three more
primary partitions. But the first partition in cylinder order is the last
entry in the partition table.

Wild! the OS/2 boot manager eats an entire cylinder.

And how did you get four different partitions labeled as the boot
partition?

OK, if you still want to muck with this, the first thing I would do is
back up everything, and make sure the backups are good.

Second thing is to make sure you can restore to bare metal if need be. See
my article in this month's Linux Journal on how to do that.

Get a copy of tomsrtbt because if you have to you can do some of the
re-arranging with its fdisk, and you will need it to edit your /etc/fstab
file. See the article in LJ for details.

Once you've done that, you can wipe the entire hard drive and start over
if you want.

Or you can create partitions, put file systems on them, copy contents
using cpio, dd or tar as needed. I would start by replacing the three
primary partitions with extended ones, and building logical partitions in
them to replace the primaries you lost. But this means that you almost
certainly will have to edit /etc/fstab so things will work correctly when
you get done.

You can't just create a new primary or extended partition, and go from
there. You can have only four partitions in the MBR, /dev/hdx[1-4]. So you
will have to delete at least one primary and use that slot to create an
extended partition. I'd delete hdb2, which is the last partition on the
disk, then create an extended partition which runs from cylinder 833 to
1090, then create logical partitions inside that.

Have I given you enough to get you started?

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley