> When I first installed linux, for reasons I no longer remember I installed
> Mandrake 7.1 as follows on my 8 GB second HD:
>
> I have a windows extended partition of 5.3 GB.  Within and at the end of
> this extended partition (don't ask why) I have a 5.3 GB linuxExt2 main linux
> partition (hdb11).  Beyond this extended partition I have my /usr, swap,
> /opt, /home partitions (hdb2, hdb3, hdb4).
>
> I own a full copy of Partition Magic which I used during the install.  I
> would like to move the main linux partition "out" of the windows extended
> partition into free space beyond it..  If I moved it using Partition Magic,
> from within NT, will I still be able to boot into linux and will the
> partition move mess up things in linux?
>
> Still learning.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff Malka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Registered Linux user  183185

If you want to move root partition you need:
I. make boot diskette:
  1. copy kernel to floppy:  cp /boot/vmlinuz /dev/fd0
  2. set root partition:     rdev /dev/hdxx /dev/fd0
    where hdxx - new place of root partition.
II. move partition
III. reboot system from diskette
IV. edit lilo.conf and fstab according to new places of partitions.
V. run lilo
VI. reboot system

If you would like use Grub you need edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and run
/boot/grub/install.sh

--
Regards,
Nikolay V. Kursov