Neal Lippman wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone can provide help on installing XFree 4.0.2.
>
> I have d/l'd the cooker rpms: I have what I believe to be a complete set of
> the 13 rpms, minus the glide rpm which I understand does not work well with
> my nVidia GeForce II MX card.
>
> After d/l'ing all 13 rpms, I tried 'rpm -Uvh *.rmp" which appeared to work,
> other than a few errors loading 3 fonts; there were no other error (or other)
> messages during the rpm'ing process. kpackage does show X 4.0.2 installed.
>
> However, I seem to still be using 3.3.x6as evidenced by the information in
> the K control panel's information display.
>
> I recall seeing instructions around indicating that after installing the
> rpms, there were a bunch of symlinks that needed modifying and so on in order
> to make the switch from 3.3.x to 4.0.x, but I cannot seem to locate
> reasonably comprehensive directions. I know I also need to d/l and install
> the appropriate nvidia modules (which I was going to do from the tars) but I
> wanted first to at least have 4.0.2 up and running.
>
> Any help?
>
> Neal

Neal,

/etc/X11/X should point to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 (X 4 server core)
Mandrake has built their X setup to allow the old 3.3.6 servers to
be installed in complement of the X 4.0.x setup.  This allows the
widest range of hardware support.  You will also need to make sure
you have your XF86Config updates for X4.  The Mandrake config utility
you are using may not be aware of X 4 and hence, not correctly link
to or format the config file for it.  Use xf86cfg.

        Woody

--
     Woody ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Gatewood Green         Web Developer
http://www.linux.org/  The first stop for Linux info on the Net
Email:                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
All opinions expressed by me are my own and not necessarily
endorsed by Linux Online, Inc. or Linux Headquarters, Inc.