sda wrote:
>  RS has no problem with this at all, free
> as in speech, not necessarily free as in beer. The heart of
> GNU/Linux is still free as in beer, however the ease of use necessarily
> isn't or shouldn't be IMHO.

But RMS's license states that once I buy, download, whatever some GPL'd code,
I am now
free to give away this software however I please. Mandrake could run people
off of their ftp servers if they wish, but they can't keep the latest versions
out of the hands of the non-payers, unless they start writing code from
scratch. This code would have to be totally non-derived from anything GPL'd
and this would allow an alternative license. This of course would be seen as
most unfriendly....

The situation is a little more complicated than this, but this is it in a
nutshell.

--
Kevin O'Connor

  "People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun ...

The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.