I'm not quite sure of the roots of this email, I jumped in late.  I have
just read several posts in the thread and would like to add a couple of
words.  Even though I love using Mandrake (it's on most of my computers
including my server), if it weren't around, I would choose another
version.  Yes, I like Mandrake's config tools, but I could live without
them.  I think that I heard a couple of people alluding to Mandrake making
their config tools proprietary.  Again, I heard other people talking about
making only previous version of Mandrake free for download.  Both of these
things IMHO would take Mandrake off of most people's computers for good.
Till Kampeter has done wonderful work with cups and printing - and I'm
sure other people could name people(s) that did something great with some
other aspect of Mandrake; but I don't use Suse because I can't download
the latest version ISO.  Linux is more than just an operating system or
software at this point - it's a movement, it's an entity.  It's not just
one company that has put Linux together or created what it has become.
It's people on developers lists world-wide and even though I sincerely
appreciate the work of the developers at Mandrake, they could not have
made the distribution that Linux-Mandrake is today without the help of all
those people world-wide.  People give suggestions and figure things out
and beta test and basically take up there time for the same reason that
people give time and money to churches and other organizations.  People
like me are using Linux and telling everyone around about it because of
the absolute irritation that's created by the arrogance of a guy named
Bill Gates; a man who I believe has the audacity to try and patent the air
we breathe!  I realize that people need to make money, but leave it in the
"pay for support" arena.  There's already several poles out there that
show the biggest complaint with Linux is the lack of corporate support
even when you pay for it - the market is there!!

One last comment, I like to make money, who doesn't?  I do believe
however, that EVERYONE has a right to technology.  How many people believe
that it costs phone companies the $50+ per month they charge me for a cell
phone?  How many people think it's just "right on target" that I'm charged
$80 per month for 1.5M/384K dsl?  How many technologies are stalled simply
because we have to figure out a "business model" for charging for the
product?  That's bull-crap!  Everyone should be able to get dsl, it should
be included in regular phone service!

I'm sorry for the length of the email, but I hope there's someone out
there who understands what I said and agrees.

Thanks, Mike

--
Michael Holt
Banning, CA                        (o_

  "AOL for Dummies" is kind of redundant, don't you think?