On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 07:35, Praedor Atrebates wrote:

> I just fought with security settings again last night.  I don't yet know if I
> have it beat.  I could not get things back to even a low/no security level so
> I could start over.  This is a problem.  I used MCC -> security to set my
> system to 3, then to 2 but nothing changed.  I was unable to get into my
> home, I could not start any wm because they didn't have write perms in my
> home.  This even after I expressly set all home dirs to 777 and made sure I
> had proper ownerships of my own dir.  MDK kept insisting on changing my
> ownership to a numeric value (500) instead of to me the user name and this
> ALWAYS screws up everything.  The system also kept insisting on giving user
> and group ownership of my home dirs to adm.  When could that ever be useful?
> I assures that one can't do anything in or with their own homes.
>
> I'll check the system tnoght when I get home to see if it has remained with my
> good settings or has switched back to broken/unusable again.  What good is
> the MCC security app if it refuses to really change anything - particularly
> when going from a higher level to a lower level?  What does "standard" or
> "high" mean in security setting wrt msec levels?

Praedor,

   Don't have an answer to the last question but ... what I would do is

rpm -e msec and then remove the rpmsave's it leaves behind, and make
sure /etc/msec is gone.

modify things such so that you can login again and do what you need.

If you want then do urpmi msec  to re-install it and start all over.

James