Thanks for suggestions for various stress tests---I will try them
tonight.

To answer James Sparenberg's question: I have tried both the 0.13mdk
and the 0.18mdk.  I usually use NeTraverse' win4lin enabled kernel,
but have reverted to the standard Mandrake kernels to see if this is
the problem.  I do not use the SMP kernels.

I would be slightly surprised if it was a hardware problem, given that
I have run Mandrake 9.0 for 3--4 months and 8.1 for about a year
without problems of this sort.  For the same reason, X is not too
likely to be the culprit as I did not upgrade my low-level video
driver when upgrading to 9.1 (I'm using a locally compiled version of
Nvidia's proprietary driver).

I'll keep you posted on results.

/Peter
--
http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
``If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us.