On Tuesday 15 July 2003 01:11 pm, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> But you can chill those puppies and you might be able to get
> stability under high load with no problem.  What I would do is
> install two Vantec Areoflow heat sink fans (they have copper cores,
> surrounded by a block of machined aluminum) after cleaning the chip
> surfaces carefully with a q-tip soaked in odorless mineral spirits to
> get rid of the old thermal compound.  Same for the HSF.
>
> Get some Arctic Silver 3 thermal compound (the best thermal
> resistance rating you can get) and use that to install your Areoflows
> (model number VA4-C7040).  Arctic Silver 3 is pretty much the best
> thermal compound around and as a result of it's superior thermal
> resistance it can get your core down by as much as 7C.
>
> The Areoflows have bearingless fans which are some of the quietest in
> the industry, and ultimately reliable because they are, well,
> bearingless.  It is possible to get a better thermal resistance with
> another HSF, but not without going to a bearing based fan, and the
> HSF's that outperform the Areoflow don't do it by a significant
> margin and plus they weigh a ton cause usually they are solid copper.
>  That can possibly put a physical strain on the mobo if it's in a
> tower case.

I've actually ordered a couple of these to try them out although I don't
know how much of an improvement they'll be over the Thermaltake
Volcanos I have installed.  Given that the computers are in safes,
noise is not an issue, at least as far as the computers are concerned.
Now the safes are a different story.  I have three safes and each has
two 10 inch exhaust fans.  The background noise level in the room is
about 62db.  Annoying but I'm told it's not a hazard.