On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 13:45, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 06:24, Thomas K. Gamble wrote:

> > > HSF's that outperform the Areoflow don't do it by a significant
> > > margin and plus they weigh a ton cause usually they are solid copper.
> > >  That can possibly put a physical strain on the mobo if it's in a
> > > tower case.
> >
> > I've actually ordered a couple of these to try them out although I don't
> > know how much of an improvement they'll be over the Thermaltake
> > Volcanos I have installed.  Given that the computers are in safes,
> > noise is not an issue, at least as far as the computers are concerned.
> > Now the safes are a different story.  I have three safes and each has
> > two 10 inch exhaust fans.  The background noise level in the room is
> > about 62db.  Annoying but I'm told it's not a hazard.

Thomas,

Don't forget your Arctic Silver 3 thermal compound.  You need that.  It
has the best heat transfer rating of any of the others.

For thermal resistance test results on some Volcano 9 and 7+ vs the
VA4-C7040's, please see the following:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030113/cooler5-39.html#hot_or_cold_thermal_resistance_is_decisive

Yes, the Va4-C7040 beat those Volcano's in this roundup.  The noise
levels *could* be made to be comparable, but he had to reduce the rpm's
of the volcano's down to 1800 in order to achieve that.  Meanwhile the
VA4-C7040's were running at full speed for the noise level tests you
see.

> Thomas,
>
>    Not a hazard due to db level, but it can affect your hearing in that
> the the air in the room pulses rhythmically.  If you are an old fart
> like myself this can be more damaging than when you were 21 because your
> eardrums are "stiffer" than before.  For short times of exposure you are
> ok, but if you are going to spend a large amount of time in rooms like
> this I'd highly recommend the foam earplugs, or equivalent.   Those
> aren't phones you're hearing. *grin*
>
> James

James,

 Fascinating.  I didn't realize that.  I need to watch the noise levels
around here a little more carefully.

On a side note: While doing some overclocking tests I noticed that under
full CPU load the mobo sensor was reporting 59C.  This naturally
bothered me quite a bit.  I checked inside the case.  Guess what?  A
SCSI cable was hanging over the HSF with only about a quarter inch
clearance or so.  About half the fan was covered.  So I rerouted the
cable, and the temp dropped under full load a full 5C; down to 54C.

I think I'm going to refit the whole machine with round IDE and SCSI
cables.

--LX

P.S.  BTW, I'm still curious about your NIC testing. :)
--
Linux Mandrake 9.1      Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk