On Wednesday 16 Jul 2003 2:54 pm, Pierre Fortin wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:39:52 +0100 Anne Wilson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > Root is sending me messages that end up in /var/spool/mail/anne.
>
> Due to entries in /etc/aliases -- adjust and run "newaliases" if
> you want to keep root stuff separate.
>
> > would like to set up KMail to bring these messages into a new
> > folder,
>
> Should only need to add account and/or filtering rule...  I don't
> run Kmail since I think sylpheed-claws is the best IMO; but a quick
> look suggests you are looking for
> ConfigureKmail->{Identities,Network} where you can create new
> identities(accounts) and servers...  It's not obvious how to tell
> Kmail that accountA uses serverX and accountB uses serverY; but
> that's the general area...
>
> > but don't know how to set up internal mail accounts.  Is it
> > possible
>
> Any valid userid can receive mail via [EMAIL PROTECTED] assuming
> you have postfix or sendmail running on that machine; otherwise,
> you may need fetchmail.
>
> > without using extra services?  What do I need to do?  What should
>
> postfix/sendmail/fetchmail are required to accept/fetch mail into
> your system for multiple users.
>
> > read?  If I can sort this out I would like to extend to internal
> > mail across our mixed lan.
>
> Lots of resources available...  what do you really want to do?  Do
> you have your own domain? Are you prepared to run your own
> mailhost?  Do you need a backup server? Wanna be your own boss when
> it comes to spam handling?  etc, etc...  I've documented some of my
> postfix stuff at http://pfortin.com/Linux/PostFix it that helps...
>
> > Anne

Hi, Pierre.

I have kmail set up to monitor and download from 3 external mail
accounts, but when it comes to setting up the internal account I'm
stumped when it comes to entering the server.  I'll read your pages
to see if I understand any better when I've done <g>

The messages that I'm concerned with for the moment are from msec or
cron, with headers like

        id 33863671C5; Wed, 14 May 2003 23:09:18 -0400 (EDT)

I would also like to be able to send internal mail to other users on
the lan.  At the moment I have to use their address on our domain,
sending it externally, which seems silly when we could communicate
through a few walls.

I would guess that I have to actually set up a mail server on this box
to deal with it, and have others download from that, but clearly
messages are getting from msec and cron via root to me, so maybe I'm
misunderstanding.

Anne