On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 20:06, Jack Coates wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 13:36, Lee Wiggers wrote:
> > ...>
> > Treat her to VMware.  I've got my brother running on Linux with
> > win2k on VMware.  He hasn't managed to break anything in 6 days (and
> > counting).  That may be a record.
> >
> > Saves a mint in upgrades (win and anti-virus junk), and protects us
> > all from one more carrier.
> >
> > The only safe windows is isolated from the 'net.
> >
> > Lee
>
> I love VMWare. It's saved me more trouble than I can name. Aside from
> the obvious joy of watching BSODs be contained to an application window,
> VMware makes a real backup of Windows very easy. I rsync my home
> directory every night; if Windows gets too fubar'ed to fix, I just rsync
> yesterday's disk image back over the current one.

Someone earlier in the rant mentioned the concept of getting rid of
every shred of non OS winBS on the box.  Well it's possible.  Remove
Outbound excess and then to get rid of IE go here.
http://www.litepc.com/  then to finish up install Mozilla or Opera, and
then TheBat .... and have fun in you cleaner lighter (and faster)
windows.

James