Hello Jack,

>> One of my key programs is DTsearch, a rather powerful search
>> engine/viewer. Would you know of a linux program that is
>> (hopefully) more powerful, or even comparable? I'd like to find
>> one.

JC> not sure what you want to do, but:
JC> dtsearch makes a version of their engine for Linux.

I've talked with them about that. It isn't a program, but just a set
of routines that interfaces with their unique data base structures.

JC> Presumably it isn't far to a desktop client.

It's a long way to the program. :-)

JC> swish-e looks great and is on my to-try list.

This does look good, and better than any suggestions made when I asked
earlier. Thanks. The part that I missed right away when I tried the
demo was the ability to do proximity searches ((search or find)
[within 25 words of] (script and text)). This is a very powerful
capability that I have come to like a lot. The demos also did not like
complex nested expressions, and did not do them correctly, although
the documentation said it did seem to use regex, which I didn't try.

The other thing I like about DTsearch is the great number of formats
it can index, and then display in an integrated viewer. I can scroll
through 15 different formats, seeing the contents of each one, as fast
as I can press a key. In a very large document, the viewer also shows
each occurrence of the search word(s), and you can scroll through them
from find to find very easily. The integrated viewer is VERY nice.

Is there a way to get the output of swish-e to operate as an
'integrated viewer'?

JC> ht::dig is kinda lame, but generally works.

This was suggested earlier. Not a candidate.

JC> if your data is in a database or can get there, finding or writing
JC> a search interface from your favorite language is really not hard.

Are you suggesting the full DTsearch capabilities are easy to do? If
so, tell me more. :-) It would be a very nice addition to open source
programs, IMHO.

Thanks for the info.

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]