October 21, 2003 03:25 pm, rikona wrote:
[..]
> AW> That's what puzzles me.  She would never open an executable.  She
> AW> would never agree to running one.  Java and javascript are
> AW> disabled  for mail.  She is set to read and write plain text.
> AW> Still they have  managed to do damage.

She wouldn't have to Anne. Read about Gibe at your favourite security
information source.

Like this one:

http://sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32gibef.html

> The more you write, the more it looks as though it is not an email
> problem.

If as I suspect this new wonder worm is a variant of Gibe it's quite capable
of infecting an entire local area network through shares, instant messengers
and a few other methods I don't recall at the moment. It doesn't need to use
the Outlook or any other address book. It is truly a nasty evil rotten piece
of malware delivered by someone that should be tracked down, shot and p!$$ed
on.

Not necessarily in that order.

> AW> At first I thought is was coincidence, but  since the same files
> AW> have to be replaced every time it happens I no  longer believe
> AW> that.
>
> Is it possible that the real problem has not been removed, and is
> still lurking on the machine? She might have multiple problems. It is
> not at all unusual in Win computers that are not locked down very
> tight.

To have a chance of clearing my friend's network Sunday I had to physically
disconnect (pulled the cables and shut down the router) all 3 of his machines
from the network, disconnect and power down the printer, and shut the router
down completely then not reconnect until everything was back to worm free
status. It wasn't a fun way to spend the evening.

> AW> I'm thankful that at least she is not  contributing to the spread
> AW> of viruses, but I can't understand how  they are doing this
> AW> damage.
>
> If her address book has entries, don't be too sure. :-))

As i posted above the address book isn't the only avenue for infection to
spread. Any unsecured Windows box connected to almost any network with an
infected machine will be toast in a very short time.<sigh>

God I hate Windows!

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.4.22-12.tmb.1mdk
16:54:20 up 32 min, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.07, 0.12
Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.
                -- Charlie Brown