On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 12:06 am, Charlie M. wrote:
> October 21, 2003 03:25 pm, rikona wrote:
> [..]
>
> > AW> That's what puzzles me.  She would never open an executable.
> > She AW> would never agree to running one.  Java and javascript
> > are AW> disabled  for mail.  She is set to read and write plain
> > text. AW> Still they have  managed to do damage.
>
> She wouldn't have to Anne. Read about Gibe at your favourite
> security information source.
>
> Like this one:
>
> http://sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32gibef.html

Well, it made interesting reading.  It was Swen.  In fact of the 4
instances her av picked up, two were said to be in her Trash, and two
in a backup.  None of the mails were visible in those files.  We have
come to the conclusion that emptying the Trash does not get rid of
mails completely, and it is necessary to compact folders to do that.
Compacting is now part of her routine.

As for how it works, I thought that only Outlook address books were
vulnerable to this.  She keeps her av up to date, and did not send
any mails after the report, apart from the one to me when I asked her
to send the av report file, so hopefully she hasn't infected anyone
else.

She isn't on a lan, and she doesn't use file-sharing programs, so that
part's OK.

She would not have filled in an email details request form without
asking me - she plays safe every time - nor would she have allowed
the fake windows update.  I had sent her reminders to avoid the fake
M$ emails and she would have made the connection.  I'll do extra
checks for the files it mentions, but hopefully we have got rid of it
this time.

As soon as she is back home and working I'll get her av registration
details so that I can talk to Kaspersky about how we can ensure that
such things are caught 'at the door'.  Although I can see how OE
would be a priority for them, I think it's unlikely that other mail
apps can't have that protection.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302