On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Michael Holt wrote:

> I haven't done any playing with cisco routers, but I would imagine that
> the ios is smart enough to drop anything except an email packet at port
> 25

But there is no such thing as "an email packet," per se - all "vanilla"
SMTP transactions are conducted in plain text. This is why telnet is so
useful as a method to test SMTP servers, because with it you can mimic
what an SMTP client sends *exactly* in all respects. There is AFAIK no way
for an SMTP server to tell whether it is talking to an SMTP client or a
human using telnet (except possibly an absurdly short timeout, enforced
between the first character of a line and the last - as humans type very
slowly, from machines' point of view - but given the lags on the WAN, such
an arrangement would cut off many machines as well, I'd expect).

> and then with all the recent problems with ddos attacks and virii, etc,
> I would think that they *would* want to seriously filter the headers
> that come in.

Yes, but it never gets far enough along in the process to allow you to
send it any headers. As has been said, that server appears to be broken.

> But you guys are saying that the headers on my email - no matter which
> machine I'm sending from - are absolutely normal?  Nobody would or could
> do it differently?

Well, let's not go that far ... :)

I don't have your original post with the two sets of headers in it handy,
but IIRC the SquirrelMail headers identified the sending machine using a
FQDN (and, moreover, one which had a valid rDNS entry), and the Evolution
headers did not. That is a significant difference, and one that *will*
matter to some SMTP servers, when they are deciding whether or not to
accept the mail. It doesn't explain the odd behavior of your boss' system
(as that system never even sees those headers), but it may pose a problem
when sending mail to some other sites.

I'd say to begin by checking your SquirrelMail config file, located at
/var/www/squirrelmail/config/config.php (if you are using the MDK RPM
version of SquirrelMail), to ensure that you are using the same instance
of Postfix for both methods. If we can rule out a difference in SMTP
servers used, we can narrow the problem down considerably. Here's mine:

$useSendmail = true;
$smtpServerAddress = 'localhost';
$smtpPort = 25;
$sendmail_path = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';
$use_authenticated_smtp = false;

In my case, both SquirrelMail and Postfix are running on the same box.
That may not be the case in your setup, but what's important here is that
wherever Postix is running, both SquirrelMail and Evolution are using the
same server to send through. I suspect that that's not true here, as that
would be the simplest explanation for the differing headers.

Including the output of "postconf -n", run on the Postfix box, might be
helpful also, as would the re-inclusion of the two sets of headers; all
that matters is the last couple of "Received:" headers from each message,
as those will be the ones that pertain to your sending system(s).

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people