On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 06:51, Jack Coates wrote:

> Cisco routers are actually very dumb. If the router or a regular
> firewall is blocking the mail, then the three way TCP handshake will
> never complete. If a proxy-using firewall (Raptor or the so-called
> "security servers" in PIX and Check Point (so-called because the number
> one source of security holes on those firewalls)) is in use, it will
> accept enough headers to make a decision on.
>
> Dropping the connection right after 220 for servers that aren't on any
> BL is broken behavior.

Ok, in reading the rfc 2821, I come to these relevant lines:

"The SMTP client MUST, if possible, ensure that the domain parameter to
the EHLO command is a valid principal host name (not a CNAME or MX name)
for its host.  If this is not possible (e.g., when the client's address
is dynamically assigned and the client does not have an obvious name),
an address literal SHOULD be substituted for the domain name and
supplemental information provided that will assist in identifying the
client."

In my original post, I included my headers.  They show that the webmail
header came with my verizon dsl id:

([4.35.151.34]) (SquirrelMail authenticated user michael) by
server.internal.ip.address with HTTP; Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:16:15 -0800
(PST)

Notice the second "received" line "evrtwa1-blah-blah".  Could that
string be what allows me to connect to their server?  Short of that, I'm
at a loss as to what else could be dropping me.  When I use the client
machines, that line becomes whatever machine name I'm at along with it's
internal ip.
--
Michael Holt
Snohomish, WA                       (o_

That would be because the software doesn't work.