On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 08:26, Bill Mullen wrote:

> But there is no such thing as "an email packet," per se - all "vanilla"
> SMTP transactions are conducted in plain text. This is why telnet is so
> useful as a method to test SMTP servers, because with it you can mimic
> what an SMTP client sends *exactly* in all respects. There is AFAIK no way
> for an SMTP server to tell whether it is talking to an SMTP client or a
> human using telnet (except possibly an absurdly short timeout, enforced
> between the first character of a line and the last - as humans type very
> slowly, from machines' point of view - but given the lags on the WAN, such
> an arrangement would cut off many machines as well, I'd expect).

Yeah, I'm starting to get that.  I was reading the smtp rfc and it would
seem that one could send all the same commands via telnet.  I guess it
just seemed like it should be more complicated than that.

> > and then with all the recent problems with ddos attacks and virii, etc,
> > I would think that they *would* want to seriously filter the headers
> > that come in.
>
> Yes, but it never gets far enough along in the process to allow you to
> send it any headers. As has been said, that server appears to be broken.
>
> > But you guys are saying that the headers on my email - no matter which
> > machine I'm sending from - are absolutely normal?  Nobody would or could
> > do it differently?
>
> Well, let's not go that far ... :)

Darn! :)

> I don't have your original post with the two sets of headers in it handy,
> but IIRC the SquirrelMail headers identified the sending machine using a
> FQDN (and, moreover, one which had a valid rDNS entry), and the Evolution
> headers did not. That is a significant difference, and one that *will*
> matter to some SMTP servers, when they are deciding whether or not to
> accept the mail. It doesn't explain the odd behavior of your boss' system
> (as that system never even sees those headers), but it may pose a problem
> when sending mail to some other sites.
>
> I'd say to begin by checking your SquirrelMail config file, located at
> /var/www/squirrelmail/config/config.php (if you are using the MDK RPM
> version of SquirrelMail), to ensure that you are using the same instance
> of Postfix for both methods. If we can rule out a difference in SMTP
> servers used, we can narrow the problem down considerably. Here's mine:
>
> $useSendmail = true;
> $smtpServerAddress = 'localhost';
> $smtpPort = 25;
> $sendmail_path = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';
> $use_authenticated_smtp = false;
>
> In my case, both SquirrelMail and Postfix are running on the same box.
> That may not be the case in your setup, but what's important here is that
> wherever Postix is running, both SquirrelMail and Evolution are using the
> same server to send through. I suspect that that's not true here, as that
> would be the simplest explanation for the differing headers.
>
> Including the output of "postconf -n", run on the Postfix box, might be
> helpful also, as would the re-inclusion of the two sets of headers; all
> that matters is the last couple of "Received:" headers from each message,
> as those will be the ones that pertain to your sending system(s).

postconf -n

alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
default_privs = nobody
delay_warning_time = 4
mail_owner = postfix
mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail
mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -Y -a $DOMAIN
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain $mydomain
mydomain = holt-tech.net
myhostname = earth
mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/24, 127.0.0.0/24
myorigin = holt-tech.net
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-1.1.11/README_FILES
setgid_group = postdrop
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version) (Mandrake
Linux)

Here was my config.php:

$useSendmail = false;
$smtpServerAddress = '192.168.0.3';
$smtpPort = 25;
$sendmail_path = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';
$use_authenticated_smtp = false;

I changed the ip address to 'localhost' and I haven't changed the
'useSendmail' option.

Yes, the postfix server and the squirrel server reside on the same box
(as does most everything else).

Here are the relevant headers:

([4.35.151.34]) (SquirrelMail authenticated user michael) by
server.internal.ip.address with HTTP; Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:16:15 -0800
(PST)

servername (Postfix) with ESMTP id 0606E205CFC for
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:02:11 -0500 (EST)

--
Michael Holt
Snohomish, WA                       (o_

Groundskeepers stole the root password