Hello, Andy!

  From my point of view, and from the software experience that I have (both as
user and as developer), it seems to me that you could get a lot of the benefits
you are looking for from Spacemacs with org-mode and projectile. That's where
I'd be heading with these requirements, and then I'd adapt those to my needs,
since the source is available, the LISP language is quite nice to work with,
and the community is there to provide some guidance and support.

  If you want to go completely crazy with this, dive into Plan 9 or Project
Oberon (the latter could be simpler for a novice), but I'm not sure how much
support you could get there. You'd probably need to become a full-time
developer to understand and modify those systems to your needs.

  Returning to Spacemacs, org-mode would give you the no-mouse-needed
structured capabilities (GTD, PIM, etc.), and you could work exactly like what
Ginko offers if you opened the same file with different levels of unfolding in
three vertical columns (or "windows", as they are called  in Emacs). Projectile
would let you search your (text) files with ease and organize them into
projects.

  Here's a well-regarded org-mode tutorial in case you want to take this route:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQS06Qjnkcc&list=PLVtKhBrRV_ZkPnBtt_TD1Cs9PJlU0IIdE