> HERE IS WHAT RAMANA SAID: THE SELF, OR THE ATMAN, IS THE GURU. HE
> ALSO SAYS THAT THE SELF - OR GRACE - MAY GUIDE THE SEEKER TO FIND AN
> OUTER (LIVING) GURU.
>
> I'VE NOT HEARD ABOUT RAMANA HAVING AN EXTERNAL GURU. PLEASE HAVE YOUR
> GURU SEND YOU THE SOURCE OF HIS KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS GURU SO WE CAN
> LEARN ABOUT HIM OR HER.

**Here is one excerpt from my gurus writtings:

As Ramana melted within Arunachala
obedient and surrendered and never did
he leave his Guru's side. He came amidst all
obstacles and Surrendered to it's wisdom
as Shiva. He stayed once home without ever
a thought of leaving.

I have made a seperate post about Ramana, his Guru, and comments about needing
Guru

> AN APPOINTED GURU IS NO GUARANTEE OF AUTHENTICITY. ON THE CONTRARY,
> SPIRITUAL LINEAGES AND MOVEMENTS OFTEN CARRY A LOT OF POLITICAL
> BAGGAGE. AN APPOINTED, "BONA-FIDE" GURU - REALIZED OR NOT - IS JUST A
> BODY WITH A REPUTATION ATTACHED TO IT.

** First of all, I have promoted here that based in my experience, I recommed
that for the
unfoldment of enlightenment, one should have two things- a Sat Guru, then work
one to
one with this Guru. The reason why is it has been pointed out that it is a very
rare one that
will make it without this. I buy into this, so herewith is my beliefs
expressed, as it usually
is- I cant preference every line with this is my belief, but most of my posts,
that is what it
is.

Now, I think most will not go along with this so not really to much need to
figure out which
guru is for real and which is not. What good is that? for one to fill up their
encyclopedia
brain?

However, if there happens to be one here interested in a Sat Guru and working
one to one,
then he has to use his discrimination in picking. First thing is to see what is
available, then
narrow things down. when all is said and done, it is going to take faith for
the part that is
unknown to him and claimed to be known by the mentor. So, they can weigh all
the logic
presented and then choose the way they are going to choose.

The complications are unlimited- Sai Baba and his boys, Muktananda and his
girls, MMY
and his kings and queens, If you research Muktananda, you get writtings as in
TM where
on the one hand he is not appointed by his Guru, on the other, things surface
which claim
he is- and this is only a short time into history- imagine what happens in a
few hundred
years, things will really be distorted

> AND MANY APPOINTED GURUS HAVE ALSO BITTEN THE DUST IN PUBLIC
> HUMILIATION AND DISGRACE.

Who? each situation has to be looked at

> THE PLAYING FIELD IS EVEN: NEITHER THE APPOINTED NOR THE SELF-
> PROCLAIMED HOLD ANY ADVANTAGE OVER THE OTHER.

Once you are interested in a guru, which most are not, then it is not just
weather they are
self proclaimed or not as the only criteria to pick a Guru. For example, my
guru would
recommend spending time with both the Guru and the sadakas to see how the
consciousness and progress looks. In spending a short time, I have seen the
real essence
of the claims come to the surface and fall apart.

Each seeker has to use his discretion, then procede

> HOLINESS IS MERELY APPEARANCE AND THERE ARE NO OUTER BEHAVIORIAL
> CRITERIA TO JUDGE WHETHER SOMEONE IS ENLIGHTENED OR NOT.

IN my case, for example, a lasting exalted state of consciousness came about
within a few
days of being with my Guru and it is here now as a platform from which I am
writting this.
This again is a part of the discrimination used but a significant one. Each
seeker has to
weigh as much as he needs to weigh in order to choose.

There is nothing on the outside with my guru that makes her seem any different
than
anyone.

> I'VE MET MANY PROFOUNDLY WOUNDED PEOPLE AFTER STUDYING UNDER HIGHLY
> ACCLAIMED, APPOINTED GURUS.

As I said, if sadakas are like that, then this is a sign that this guru may not
be a Sat Guru.
Again, it is good to not only check out the Guru but also the sadakas

> YES, IT IS. SO PLEASE TRY NOT TO SOUND SO CERTAIN ABOUT THIS SUBJECT.

My post is formulated by both my experience, then belief beyond my experience.
I am
certain about both but the belief part is revealing in that you know it is my
belief- so then
one can have their own beliefs and opinions- if they state if forcefully or
not, either way is
ok- we know it for what it is.