From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Sal Sunshine
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 1:04 PM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: TIME to BAN LURK

On Oct 2, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Rick Archer wrote:

Have to agree with Judy on this one. Not flaming was as much a collective
agreement as not overposting. To be diligent about one and intentionally
violate the other is inconsistent and even hypocritical. Perhaps it takes
more strength to abstain from flaming than from overposting, but it’s still
the same muscle. Exercise it.

But flaming is often in the eyes of the beholder, Rick,

Which is why I was pretty comfortable with instituting the posting limit,
but reluctant to institute a flaming ban – too subjective.

and with the post limit, IMO, is too much--hence you have people
self-appointing themselves as cop and taking it upon themselves to go after
the offenders. Whether there was a "collective agreement," or not, it's just
devolved into silliness and more immature behavior on the part of the cops
than the flamers--IMO, of course. I do remember your party analogy quite
well, just didn't realize that represented any kind of consensus.

Probably didn’t. Just something I came up with to try to make it simple for
people. The distance and anonymity of the Internet makes people behave more
badly than if they were face-to-face. So I tried to put it in a face-to-face
context.

 I don't know, maybe it's time to take another vote. I say that too many
rules are almost worse than none.

We can always take another vote.

You've gone from one end of the spectrum to the other--now how about
stopping in the middle.

Where’s the middle?

Pick one or the other--either play content cop, or just count posts. I'd say
the latter is much easier.

I don’t think it has to be either/or. There can be two regulations. The
content one is just harder to judge and enforce.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
6:59 PM