--- In [email protected], t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> First of all: Thanks for your answer Curtis. My comments follow.

Likewise.  I'm sure I'll learn something.

>Snip>

Me > > the opposite, I use them for my art.  
> 
T:> When you say: 'I use them for my art' you obviously feel in charge
> that you have some kind of control of what is conscious and what is
> unconscious, its exactly that which I am doubting.This transition of
> unconscious processes to conscious ones is something we are obviously
> not aware of, so how could 'you' possibly control them? I know what
> you mean, and I am sure that you have worked out a means to be
> creative in that way, but I am obviously challenging he overall
> picture. Which is that the I, ego is in control.
> 

I didn't say I control them, I said I use them.  There are lots of
ways people access their unconscious processes, meditation being one.
 I don't feel as if I am in control of them or conscious of them.  But
like the fungi that live under the soil occasionally a mushroom pops
up on the surface.  If you know something about what conditions to 
make them pop you can create more favorable conditions for it to
happen more often.  I think I am in agreement with your point that
there is much that is never known.  Certainly my ego isn't in control
of all of my unconscious processes. 
> 
 ME: > > Being confident about knowledge
> > is not undermined by studies on our rationalization processes.  There
> > are many methods that we use to avoid this among many possible human
> > cognitive errors.
> 
T: > I am not talking about errors here, but about the general process of
> brain-processes coming into awareness. These processes in your brain
> are not under your control. But the result of these processes are then
> , once they come into awareness, owned by an ego, the self, with which
> we identify. From reading your posts until so far, I have got the
> impression, that you have sort of a naive belief into the ego, your
> sense of self, as a given. You take whatever appears to be as it is,
> as the truth, as far as I understood you.

I can be as naive as the next person, but I don't think I really
follow your point here.  I don't take anything as it appears as "the
truth".  My sense of self is a given I guess.  I'm down with Decartes'
first principle.  I am not confused about who I am, but that does
include plenty of mystery including unconscious processes. 

<Snip>
T:
> Even people who believe in God, know that whatever we think about him
> /her or them is a concept. Ask the most fundamentalist Muslim, and he
> will tell you that God cannot be described or understood by the mind.
> So when you talk about God, you talk about something indescribable. As
> such you have a metaphor for the indescribable, and that is God. I
> would say most people are aware of this. If you say ' I do not know
> God (as he is beyound the mind)' or if you say 'I do not know the
> origin of the world' whats the difference really? If you say: ' I am
> satisfied with the miracles of live' you obviously simply substitute
> the word 'God' with 'life', as an overall concept of the processes
> going on in the world. I don't see any big difference there. If you
> speak of the 'miracle' you even more so use religious terminology.

ME: I often find that down deep under the spiritual terms, I share
beliefs about life with overtly spiritual people.  The term "God"
isn't useful for me but I understand it is for others.  But when I say
life, I don't mean any of the God concepts I have come across.  Maybe
Pantheism, I should look into that.  I would attend WICCA meetings but
I am sure to get kicked out for leering.  

> 
> > If you find these concepts useful in interpreting your experiences of
> > your consciousness, that is your business. 
> 
T: > Sure. I feel using concepts of something I experience with certainty
> (God) as helpful of getting things 'out of the way'. I mean why bother
> with questions I can have a metaphor for as a working hypothesis? I
> don't have to think about things my intellect cannot grasp. (and I can
> still use my intellect to probe deeper into 'higher realties' having
> such expressions and metaphors I can work with. Its like the steps of
> a ladder I can use)
 
ME:  OK

> 
ME > > But not adapting these
> > concepts doesn't make me take anything for granted.  
> 


T:> It seems you have taken many things for granted, for example that you
> are in control of your actions. Or that he intellect is a valid means
> to understand reality, which exceeds personal experience. 

Me: I hope I have cleared up that I do acknowledge unconscious
processes beyond my conscious mind.  If you are taking it to an
extreme version of philosophical skepticism about the authorship of
the actions I do control, you may be going beyond my POV.  Even using
"the intellect" in this way is coming from a whole epistemological POV
that I don't share.  I don't cut up my mental processes that way. I
understand "reality" with all my human faculties just like you.

> 
ME> > You yourself have
> > decided not to adapt literally hundreds of God concepts to arrive at
> > the one that works for you.  
> 
T: > I am actually not exactly sure in how many Gods/gods I believe ;-)But
> basically there is no big difference in believing in 108 Gods or only
> 107 Gods or actually just one God. It doesn't matter, as you believe
> there is a consciousness beyound your individual mind, and that there
> is consciousness behind the processes in nature.


Me: I don't share your confidence in this assertion.  


T: Actually thats my
> definition of God: Consciousness. Because God, any God, to be a real
> God would have to be Conscious. So Consciousness comes first
> obviously. Which is of course why the vedic literature defines
Brahman > as Sat Chit Ananda.

Me: It seems that you started with logical necessity as a proof system
and then ended with scriptural authority.  I don't really accept your
use of logic because you have included premises that I don't share. 
And I dig the Vedic literature as much as the Bible for insight about
human nature and history.  Brilliant stuff.  But I understand the
limitations they had which we have grown beyond in human knowledge. 
In my POV I can be conscious without having a concept of Brahman.

> 
Me: > > I have rejected them too and probably for
> > many of the same reasons.  I just have one less God than you have.
> 
T: > Haha, very funny, but no its fundamentally different, see my
> explanation above.

ME: Thanks for taking the time to answer in detail.  I enjoy reading
your POV even when I don't share it.




>


Reply via email to