Turquoise wrote:
No, that's how it is according to *one* ToK, theIMO degraded view of karma you
hear a lot fromHindu sources. They are the same sources who wouldhave you
believe that the victims of the last big hurricane "deserved it." Buddhist
karma includes dependent origination (or independent origination, which I
prefer), which says that sometimes the outside world just does shit, and you
happen tobe in the way. The shit *did* happen, and you *did* happen to be in
the way, and yes you have to *deal* with the shit, but you didn't necessarily
do the *same* shit to someone else. That's a silly over-simplification of a
complex subject.
I am really glad to hear that there is a theory of Karma that is not the silly
over-simplification that I hear form Hindu sources.  I've always thought it was
not only stupid but cruel and insensitive.  When the "outside" world hands you
something undeserved, then you get to ask for a kind of second gathering from
the universe.  That, I think is the real meaning behind "turn the other cheek."