I've seen many animals in the wild, but it hardly counts as an
experience of them -- why?, cuz it's hard to see their minds working
without a long period of observation -- and the closer the better --
watching a grizzly from an SUV won't cut it as well.

I like to get inside their lives.  I remember, living on Glasgow Road,
and letting my cat out and watching him entering the woods.  A tiger
couldn't have done it with more feline intent.  A mouse or antelope --
doesn't matter what's being hunted, the hunter's mind is the same.

That's why I love Meercat Manor and other animal series on TV.  The
psychological dynamics of any species can be a world-entered if one
has the patience to project anthropomorphically again and again until
the human-only flavors are dropped and one can see what one REALLY has
in common with a species.

I lived three years on a cove fifteen feet outside my window, and
watched the micro-ecological play of over 60 species that I saw on an
almost daily basis, say, about 20 species would be spotted on any
given day.  Mostly birds, but mink, muskrats, turtles, rabbits,
squirrels, field mice, chipmunks, groundhogs, and dragonflies.  All of
these animals' lives can be vicarious thrillers that can match
anything Hollywood sells.  These animals are warriors each and all,
and the tiniest finch will show immense ferocity if required.

Want a deep thrill?  Watch crows having a group meeting.

See how four crows decide who is going to be the first, the "sucker,"
 who dares to risk a peck at a dead-thing, then after proven dead, who
shoves all the others aside, who thinks they're allowed to sneak
closer for a quick peck while the top-bird is slavering down hunks,
who waits on the sidelines forever until the entire pecking order has
full tummies only to be able to grab a couple good mouthfuls before
the whole murder flies elsewhere.  Watch crows do this and become a
believer in animal telepathy.

Same deal for muskrats fighting it out for sex and territory, or minks
racing along logs like furry snakes, or squirrels chasing each other
up and down a tree until it's like a living barbershop pole, or
chipmunks chirping as loudly as crickets with bullhorns.

Want to know what it's like to meet an alien stepping out of a UFO,
watch a dragonfly hanging around a branch tip for 30 minutes.

Want to know how God's mind works?  Watch a flock of birds wheel as
one mid-flight with not a trace of signal-lag between the first to
turn and the last to turn -- telepathy I tell ya!

Small wonder then that we love our pets and see their minds with such
intimacy.  When my last pet died, it was crushing.  I just cannot take
such a loss again and haven't had a domesticated animal since, but the
wild things take me on their flights, let me scurry with them, let me
see their destinies unfold, and that has proven to be a spiritual
instruction of some merit.

Edg

PS.  Below another piece, written to Diane Porter the Birding Lady of
 Fairfield, when I was living in Detroit where I was feeding birds in
my backyard.  I describe a spiritual epiphany I had while watching
starlings feed in the rain.

Diane,

You know, you really can't tell anyone about birding...the emotions
are so subtle.

I've been watching the birds here -- I'm putting out 15 pounds of seed
a day to 200 sparrows, 40 mourning doves, one pigeon, 50 starlings, 4
purple finches, one downy woodpecker, one red headed woodpecker, two
mallard ducks, ONE junco, four blue jays, four cardinals, one
chickadee, one titmouse, and 9 different squirrels who do not fly so
good but insist that they be fed.

It is amazing how subtle my observations have become.  I swear I know
the FEELINGS of each bird.  EACH one.  And I am absolutely certain
that they all know each other to a very intimate degree
too....."pecking order" doesn't even begin to compass how well they
all know each other, and I'm not talking about these animals knowing
their same species' ways and means -- they know the psychology of the
other species that hang out at "Edg's Eatery" too.

I have four mini-tables, about two feet in diameter and two feet high
that I put seed on.  I move these tables around from time to time, and
depending on distance between them, the birds will feed on each table
differently.  The closest to the bushes and trees gets emptied first,
of course, but NOT if I put a can of dog food on it for the starlings,
and NOT if, say, table one is so close to another, table two, that a
squirrel eating on table two is able to jump from table two to table
one.  The birds KNOW how far a squirrel can jump, and so they don't
eat at a nearby table, because they know that squirrel is coming there
to get the sunflower seeds.  Once the seeds are gone, they eat at the
nearby tables!  Amazing!

If I change anything about a feeding table, then that becomes table
four -- emptied last until it has been observed for about three days
-- it might be a trap you see.  The starlings will eat dog food in the
hanging feeders that I put up for them, but they'll let the much more
accessible can-shaped hunk of food on the table sit there until the
feeders are emptied -- why? -- because the can is NEW and the feeders
are absolutes which only vary slightly in appearance (by how the dog
food is shaped inside them.)

Amazing stuff.

Once, I had an epiphany watching the starlings.

These tables are only two feet wide, so there's not much room on them
for starlings who fight each other more than an Irish family at
dinner.  They've got the pecking order down, and they see to it that
any challenge to that order is immediately answered.  But when the
feeders are empty and only the one can of food is on a table, they're
really pushed to their limits, because each one thinks he DESERVES a
place on that table and is bound to discover if it is at all possible
to adjust himself UP the pecking order by at least one bird.

Now there's 50 starlings who come to our yard, but only about three
can fit onto that table before a fight starts between them.  They need
about 12 inches of personal space which is maintained by them doing
very subtle body postures to threaten each other.  Get less than 12
inches between any two of them and they get a lot more obvious --
squawks and open mouths and wings spreading, but if only three or four
are on the table, they're pretty subtle, but you can tell, YOU CAN
TELL, that they're huffin' and puffin' in their little birdy ways.

Now the above is standard for days when only seeds are there for the
starlings....four bird max on a table.  But, when only a single can of
dog food is on the table and the feeders are empty, then the rules get
rewritten.  Scarcity seems to make them all braver, and funnily
enough, more compromising.....if only by default.

Here's how it works:  The big guys come flying in after the
hungrier-braver guys have started eating.  The big guys shoo away the
"early adopters" who proved the food wasn't dangerous.  But, because
there's 50 birds, each with two eyes on the only food in town (as far
as their emotions are concerned -- immediacy precludes searching for
food elsewhere, and they all go into this mode that is like "this is
the only food in the universe left." You get, say, about 10 birds who
all think they can muscle in on that table -- the pecking order be damned!

So down they come, and at first, the biggest four bullies squawk and
flap themselves sick to keep the six other semi-bullies away, but the
number 10 - 20 birds (who are all around on the ground looking for
scraps flung off of the table in the battles and feeding frenzy going
on on the table) take advantage of the fighting and fly up to the
table and land on the very very very edge of the table and wait there
until a scrap fly outwards from the center or they see a chance to
dart in while two bullies are fighting and thus get a beakful without
getting pecked.  And they're very good at this darting.  Now the
bullies see that they're getting ripped off, and they STOP FIGHTING so
that they can have time to eat.  Amazing!  Suddenly a phase transition
occurs and there's up to 20 birds on this small table eating EXACTLY
LIKE you've seen sharks eating on a National Geographic feeding frenzy
clip.

Dog food flies off the table like it's being mowed by a Briggs and
Stratten, and the other 20 - 50 numbered birds are all around the
table pecking up these bits on the ground.  The king bully bird
usually stands on top of the dog food and pecks at what's beneath his
feet.

It is an amazing sight.  A pound of dog food goes in about 10 minutes.

Once, while it was raining pretty hard, I put out a can.  Down they
came.  All of them soaked -- their feathers obviously matting up a
bit, and it looked like each one was some sort of ancient cloaked
warrior unconcernedly roughing it while feasting upon a fresh kill.
It was no different from a pride of lions around a fallen zebra.

If you remember the music that played when the chimps first saw the
obelisk in A Space Odyssey 2001, you know the FEELING of those birds
in that rain circle.  Each a fierce fighter -- ounce for ounce a
son-of-a-bitch, and all of them eating as fast as they possibly
could....while the pecking order was "called off."  Yet, of course, it
wasn't called off, but was manifested differently in that it seemed
like the food was "too hot to eat," because the lesser ordered birds
would get a beakful and immediately back off because of the social
pressure, say, one or two steps towards the outer part of the table,
then change their minds and go back again while the getting was good.

That's when I had my epiphany -- I was IN that circle, listening to
that chimp music, shouldering against them as if I were 8 inches high
and yet an invisible ghost bird witnessing their reverie, feeling the
grunting lust of their chomps and stabs, smelling the carcass, seeing
the karate precise placing of feet with everyone perfectly balanced,
knowing that all minds were agreed and intending one pointedly,
ignoring the rain pounding down and the wind gusts, believing that the
pointed beak-swords of each would be used only for feeding despite
their being flashed dangerously close to the tender eyeballs of lesser
birds, and being in the ONENESS of the group's DNA as it was perfectly
expressed.

It was wonderful.  I was an unseen ninja at their feast.  I felt
tough, lean, steel sinewed, intense, AND FREE.

I am a strange person indeed to have had one of my strongest spiritual
experiences identifying with a ravenous mob of carnivores.

Edg