Since there has been some discussion about research on TM, I'm posting
this recent press release from the University of Kentucky. It would be
hard for even the most biased observer (and we have many on this
board) not to recognize the value of this. The fact is, uncomfortable
though it may be for some, that TM works.

FOR RELEASE

Transcendental Meditation More Effective in Reducing High Blood Pressure
Compared to Other Stress Reduction Programs, Study Shows

LEXINGTON, Ky. (Dec. 4, 2007) - People with high blood pressure may
find relief from Transcendental Meditation, according to a definitive
new meta-analysis of 107 published studies on stress reduction
programs and high blood pressure, which will be published in the
December issue of Current Hypertension Reports.

The Transcendental Meditation technique produces a statistically
significant reduction in high blood pressure that is not found with
other forms of relaxation, meditation, biofeedback or stress management.

The new meta-analysis reviewed randomized, controlled trials of all
stress reduction and relaxation methods in participants with high
blood pressure that have been published in peer-reviewed scientific
journals.

Blood pressure changes for the Transcendental Meditation technique
included average reductions of 5.0 points on systolic blood pressure
and 2.8 on diastolic blood pressure, which were statistically
significant, according to the review. The other stress reduction
programs did not show significant changes in blood pressure.

Blood pressure changes associated with Transcendental Meditation
practice were consistent with other controlled studies showing
reductions in cardiovascular risk factors, improved markers of heart
disease, and reduced mortality rates among participants in the
Transcendental Meditation program.

The new meta-analysis was conducted by researchers at the
<http://www.mc.uky.edu/medicine/>University of Kentucky College of
Medicine and at the NIH-funded Institute of Natural Medicine and
Prevention at Maharishi University of Management.

According to Dr. James Anderson, professor of medicine at the
University of Kentucky and co-author of the new meta-analysis, the
findings of the new review  rebut a July 2007 report sponsored by the
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and the
<http://www.nccam.nih.gov/>NIH-National Center for Complementary and
Alternative Medicine, which concluded that most research on meditation
is low quality and found little evidence that any specific stress
reduction effectively lowers blood pressure. The new meta-analysis
identified all high quality meditation studies published through 2006
and rigorously analyzed their effects, which the previous government
report failed to do.

Anderson said the new meta-analysis includes only high quality studies
on all available stress reduction interventions. The studies on
Transcendental Meditation were conducted at five independent
universities and medical institutions, and the majority of them were
funded by competitivegrants from the <http://www.nih.gov/>National
Institutes of Health.

"The magnitude of the changes in blood pressure with the
Transcendental Meditation technique are at least as great as the
changes found with major changes in diet or exercise that doctors
often recommend," Anderson said. "Yet the Transcendental Meditation
technique does not require changes in lifestyle. Thus many patients
with mild hypertension or prehypertension may be able to avoid the
need to take blood pressure medications—all of which have adverse side
effects. Individuals with more severe forms of hypertension may be
able to reduce the number or dosages of their BP medications under the
guidance of their doctor."

Anderson added that long-term changes in blood pressure of this
magnitude are associated with at least a 15 percent reduction in rates
of heart attack and stroke. "This is important to everyone because
cardiovascular disease is the number one cause of death in the U.S.
and worldwide," Anderson said.

The study's biostatistician, Maxwell Rainforth, assistant professor of
Physiology and Health Statistics at Maharishi University of
Management, said the meta-analysis used state-of-the-art statistical
methods to review 107 published studies in the field of stress
reduction, relaxation and blood pressure. "The twenty-three separate
studies included in the final analysis met well-known criteria for
high scientific quality. That is, these studies used repeated blood
pressure measurements and participants were randomized to either a
stress reduction technique or placebo-type control for at least eight
weeks.  The data we used are all published in peer-reviewed scientific
journals," Rainforth said.

According to Dr. Robert Schneider, director of the
<http://www.mum.edu/inmp>Institute of Natural Medicine and Prevention
and co-author, this rigorously conducted meta-analysis indicates that
the Transcendental Meditation program is distinctively effective
compared to other scientifically studied techniques in lowering high
blood pressure.

"For those 100 million Americans with elevated blood pressure, here is
a scientifically documented, yet simple and easy way to lower blood
pressure without drugs and harmful side effects. In addition, related
studies show an integrated set of positive `side benefits,' such as
reduced stress, reduced heart disease levels and longer lifespan with
this technique to restore balance in the cardiovascular system, mind
and body,"  Schneider said.

###

In striving to become a Top 20 public research institution, the
University of Kentucky is a catalyst for a new Commonwealth – a
Kentucky that is healthier, better educated, and positioned to compete
in a global and changing economy. For more information about UK's
efforts to become a Top 20 university, please go to
<http://www.uky.edu/OPBPA/Top20.html>http://www.uky.edu/OPBPA/Top20.html
--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>