I've been working on getting out of the house all morning to enjoy
the redwoods with a friend, but in response to the theme of New's
post I can share that many (most?) criminal defendant's I've dealt
with are perfectly ordinary people who, through circumstances and
personal choices, have to live in a subculture that places big
demands on the most basic of survival skills in a deeply hostile
environment.

Even within that context, though, if treated with respect and simple
humanity, they are no more to be feared than anyone else.  I've been
on my hands and knees, on the concrete floor of a cinderblock
interview room, out of sight of guards or inmates, with a 6'2'', 230
lb. client on top of me, demonstrating with a pencil exactly how the
accidental stabbing occurred.  Didn't occur to me that I should be
worried (or that Sal may want to horn in on the action).

**

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hugheshugo"
> <richardhughes103@> wrote:
> >

> > Also a shame Sonny Barger didn't teach the rest of his cut-
throat
> > scumbag rabble a bit of peace and calm.
>

> Actually, many learned. They had group meds (including TM, ha).
>
> A teacher, George Ellis, others later, focussed on prisons for a
> while. He initited Sonny and a whole slew of others.
>

> Prisons have lots of types. But surely not all "cut-throat
> scumbag rabble". From tales I have heard from TM and AOL teachers,
> there are an amazing assortment of people, some quite deep and with
> inner light. Karma -- it hits us all. "
> "There but for fortune go you or I"
>
> I can't "box" up prisoners as a "type". Being in prison has been at
> times, a mark of valor and fighting the good fight. Gandhi, MLK,
many
> draft resistors in Viet-nam era -- and other wars. it seems those
not
> overtly fighting a corrupt system may be on the wrong side of the
walls.

> I seriously considered prison rather than register for the draft --
> which I felt was (or might be-- jeez at 17 I left some doors open)
> immoral: to require people to kill others (which in those days was
> given -- off to nam)
>
> And Marek as a defense attorney has shared a bit of his experiences
> talking with defendees and prisoners.  More sharing welcomed. (As
long
> as Sal doesn't get too excited and accelerate her next
incarnation --
>  as Marek -- too soon. (scene: Marek wakes up one morning "Sal,
What