The below three levels of energy usage have kicked around since 1964
in astronomy, and the discussions are very complex.  This Professor
Kaku knows that with our present technology, it would be sheer luck
for us to pick up on other intelligent life in our galaxy, since
there's so many ways to imagine communication that, given our
development, and given the much more advanced development that
virtually any extra-terrestial intelligences would be using,
technologies beyond our ken, it is impossible to say whether or not
our galaxy is teeming with communications or if we're the first to
achieve even our low abilities.  We could be like ants with modern
scientific life on earth completely being unknown despite all the
radio and tv signals pulsing through their tiny brains.

ET could be right here, right now, in a variety of ways that we simply
cannot know of at this stage of our development.....er, except for
maybe enlightened dudes who can pick up on them as devas, gods, etc.

John, you should read up on this concept more: you below conclusions
and your wordings indicate that you have barely scratched the
surface...even to the point of misrepresenting the concept with
incorrect subtleties....such as your use of the word "exhaust" below
when there's no such consideration in the general concept that a
civilization must exhaust any of its resources before it gets the
technological ability to harness the energy of a star or a galaxy.

Here's the wiki page for the concept:

http://tinyurl.com/l3ql5

And I don't believe that the Star Wars scenario had any technology
beyond Type II civilization.   Type III technology is such a vaster
abillity as to make harnessing a single star as insignificant as our
"ant like" ability to harness coal and make steam.

Edg