> If he takes authorship of obeyeing God's will in waging
> the war, he takes on its karmic consequences, according
> to the premise.

If a guru takes authorship of believing he is enlightened and that all
his actions are life-supporting, then according to that line of
reasoning, he will be karmically responsible for the fruits of his
actions.

Enlightenment is an elusive concept.

The guru can have access to a high unity state consciousness, and at
the same time be very low in many lines of development : morally,
psychosexually,emotionally, in values etc. This is a very common
combination in gurus who have come from the Eastern traditions to the
west. And most probably this problem is very common in the East also,
but it is not always so easy to expose those.
Eastern people have not yet been able to question the morality of
their gurus. So strong this belief is in those cultures.

Basically access to unity consciousness can highly accelerate one's
cognitive,moral, emotional, psychosexual etc.development.
This isn't however often the case in people who believe strictly to
this dogma. This belief gives a promise of a spiritual by-pass people
dream of. It is rather heavy to work through one's shadow issues,
question one's values and morals. But there is no development in those
lines without that kind of work.

I believe that without that belief the eastern gurus and hence also
their followers would be spontaneously morally, emotionally, and
psychosexually much more responsible persons.
I personally don't consider a person enlightened if he/she is not
spontaneously capable of responsible behavior of high standards.

Irmeli