On Jun 18, 2005, at 10:18 AM, Peter Sutphen wrote:

>> In many traditions one checks ones View, their inner
>> experience and POV
>> with a teacher who's 'been there, done that'. I
>> can't tell you how many
>> people I've met who thought they were enlightened
>> after a certain
>> experience or shift in awareness. In every case the
>> experience was a
>> symptom of some part of awakening or some aspect of
>> the Path. In the
>> first part of my training a portion was on people
>> who will report
>> instances of enlightenment after practicing certain
>> practices, so there
>> is a practical literature out there on this very
>> topic, it's just not
>> generally discussed outside the tradition (let alone
>> on email lists).
>>
>> -V.
>
> Yes, what is usually discussed on an e-mail list are
> peoples' mental models of enlightenment and how wrong
> you are if you don't express your experience of
> enlightenment within the confines of my mental model.

Yeah, but that should not be used as an excuse to not debate or engage
in rigorous intellectual learning. It turns out, these are an essential
part of creating a framework where true enlightenment can manifest.
Consider some sects of Tibetan Buddhist monks--they will spend half
their lives in meditation, but the other half in rigorous debate. The
reason is it is important to have that debate in order to create a
fertile ground for the non-conceptual to take lasting root. This is
especialy true in the era we live in today. In fact, it is these
accumulations of good karma that allow that to happen. In New Age forms
of eastern spirituality this is often discouraged. Depending on the
path, this might be a warning sign that either the teacher does not
know the path as he claims or there simply isn't a path to
enlightenment being taught--that is, it's a false path and/or false
View.

As an example, before one learns the YS, one is taught what
intellectual knowledge one must gain for the system to work and what
virtues one must accumulate. As a further example, there are certain
experiences one needs to accumulate *before* some siddhis can manifest
(in this case accomplishment siddhis, not "yogic" siddhis).