-imperfect world, true:
On December 2, 1974 as he went to take his bath at 4:00 a.m., Sri Tat
Wale Baba was murdered by a crazy gunman. I soon had learned of the
incident from a friend. I wondered about the facts surrounding this
crime, and why somebody would want to kill Tat Wale Baba. I had heard
various accounts, but none had satisfied me. My visit with Swami
Shankardasji afforded me the opportunity for an accurate account.

"What happened to Tat Wale Baba?" I probed a bit apprehensively as I
felt I might be approaching a sensitive subject. But, Swami
Shankardasji was open to my questioning.

"He was killed by a man living there in the mountains," Swami related
as he gestured gently with his finger to give me an indication of the
direction. Then, Swami shocked me when he said, "He still lives here,
near by."

My mouth dropped open in shocked disbelief. I wondered if I had heard
correctly. "How's that possible? Don't the police know he did it?"

"Oh yes! The police got him to confess. The man spent one year in
prison, then paid bail (my emphasis) and now is out."

I still had difficulty believing that a convicted murderer of a great
yogi, in a spiritual country which cherishes its beacons of wisdom,
could wiggle his way into freedom and be permitted to live on the
same mountain where he executed his maleficent deed. "What a
mockery!" I thought.

Swami continued, "This man had another run in with the police. But,
after a few months in prison, he again got out on parole." Swami
Shankardasji brought out newspaper clippings he had saved which
reported the killing of Tat Wale Baba, and the subsequent crimes of
this murderous renegade. "This last December 14, he again just got
out of prison," Swami said. "It was his third time. And he is still
causing problems for people here."

I now could understand why Swami Shankardasji made it a practice to
bolt the ashram door shut. It was hard to imagine that one needed to
protect oneself against the harm from others while on a spiritual
retreat in a cave hidden in the Himalayan jungles overlooking a holy
city. The cobras, however, are friendly! Be that as it may.

-- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, enlightened_dawn11
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> >
> > Sometime it takes an online conversation some time to find its
> way.
> > Thanks for hanging in there.
>
> and thank you as well.
>
> Your post has some very thoughtful ideas
> > I would like to consider.  In particular I appreciate your open
> minded
> > tone. That encourages conversation.
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, enlightened_dawn11
> > <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > "I am just as sincere in my belief that ancient spiritual
> beliefs
> > > keep mankind in ignorant bondage..."-- taking what Tat Wale
Baba