Three quick additional points:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, enlightened_dawn11
> <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> > wrote:
<snip>
> > > Why are we intolerant of the lies of people outside
> > > FFL but perfectly fine with the lies of those within
> > > it? Why do we not tolerate lying from important
> > > public figures, but don't see anything wrong with
> > > lying by our associates?
> > >
> > > Why the double standard?
> > >
> > it seems to be in respective interpretations of the FFL group
> >
> > "Fairfield Life focuses on topics of interest to seekers (and
> > finders) of truth and liberation everywhere."
> >
> > for me, if someone is just deliberately distorting
> > stuff or even making it up out of their desire to
> > get a rise out of others, i am not really
> > interested in that
>
> That isn't why Barry does it. That's his *excuse*
> for doing it, but it's transparently false. He
> does it in the hope that other people will believe
> what he says.

Willytex is an example of someone who *does*
do this. He's a classic troll. But more people
tend to engage him about his lies than they do
Barry about his.

> ; it isn't a topic of interest for me.
> > rather than take the person to task for it, i just
> > move on.
>
> I don't think that's an ethical approach.
>
> Do you not recall a few days ago, when Barry
> was spewing his fantasies about you, you got
> pretty bent out of shape? And when I stood up
> for you, you thanked me.
>
> > with regard to a double standard on lies from
> > public figures vs those here, it is all in the
> > ramifications of the lies. if someone on this
> > forum lies or distorts stuff, what is the
> > result? nothing, really.
>
> I think this is a bogus excuse for laissez-faire
> laziness.
>
> We should hold everyone to the same standard. If
> our standards are lax where our associates are
> concerned,

I should add, especially those associates who
lie blatantly and habitually.

 we aren't going to be likely to be
> able to accurately evaluate the truthfulness of
> public figures. We may find that we employ lower
> standards for public figures we're predisposed
> to like, and come down unreasonably hard on those
> we don't like.

With regard to our associates who lie, we see this
dynamic clearly in the dichotomy I mentioned above
between how people respond to Willytex, who is a
right-winger, and to Barry, who's distinctly a
leftie. Barry gets a pass because most of us here
lean left.