> on 6/25/05 7:54 PM, lurkernomore20002000 at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
> > I know, it would seem logical to legalize pot.  But I have heard
> > knowledgeale people on the front lines, with no obvious agenda
> > except to effectively deal with the problem, make a convincing
> > argument that it is a gateway drug.
>
> Maybe it is. But maybe it depends on your personality or level
> of maturity.  I think I have or had an addictive personality. As
> a teenager, I "progressed" from alcohol to pot (so maybe alcohol
> is a gateway drug too) to LSD (which I still don't regret) to
> dabbling in heavier things - barbiturates, meth, heroin. Many
> kids I knew became junkies. But kids behave that way. Many college
> kids are binge drinkers. Kids experiment at that age.  I know
adults
> who may smoke a joint occasionally, but for them, it is
> clearly not a gateway to anything heavier.

The bottom line in this debate probably belongs to the
Dutch.  In the Netherlands marijuana has been quasi-
legal and freely available for over 30 years.  So what
are the statistics for marijuana use in the Netherlands?

Less than 5% of the population have ever even bothered
to try it.

Compare and contrast to the US, where in some states
simple possession can land you in jail for a mandatory
ten years.  Well over 50% of the population has tried it.

Seems like a no-brainer to me...

Unc