Edg, I don't know criminal law in Iowa, or what elements are necessary
to establish criminal negligence under Iowa statutes as opposed to
civil negligence.

In the case of the company going belly up because you believed that
the president had embezzled, that's even more difficult to give a
satisfactory reply since most fraud and embezzlement cases are big
paper cases and, consequently, very time consuming.  It doesn't seem
unlikely that the AG's office couldn't discern from your report enough
evidence of a crime having been committed to follow through on your
complaint, but I don't have enough factual background to even
speculate as to why they didn't do any investigation.

As re trikking, it's been too wet for too long for me to get out.  I
took it down to Davis for the holiday but besides everyone giving it a
whirl (my daughter "got it" right away, no one else did -- but they
all thought it was totally cool), there was way too much draw to hang
with each other than temptation to absent myself to trikke.

As re surfing, I got to go out 3 of the first 4 days of the new year
and New Year's Day was the best session of my short career so far.  It
was a cold and rainy day and I had Moonstone all to myself for the
first couple of hours.  Normally I surf only for as long as I can hold
my bladder (although lots of folks pee in their wetsuits, I've taken
the advice to refrain) which is generally around 2 hours.  On Jan. 1,
though, I held it for as long as I could, then rushed ashore just long
enough to deflate, and went back out for another couple of hours
before I was too tired to do any more.

It was the first time I really felt like a surfer.  I was catching
most of the waves I paddled for and got long rides that totally
satisfied me.  You know, one thing you mentioned before when we were
comparing trikking and surfing, was that they are both gravity sports,
but that's not quite true.  Surfing is a gravity sport but it's
gravity as absorbed and mediated through the agency of the ocean.  The
normal (and consistent) relationship we have with gravity is only a
small part of surfing.

The real engine is the force of the wave which picks you up and
propels you forward.  It's not so much about sliding down the face of
a wave as suddenly having to deal with the massive power of the wave
and quickly reading and adjusting to its energy and trajectory.  It's
really unlike anything else in my experience.  It's a total high.

I'm going out tomorrow and it promises to be a fantastic day -- 7.5
foot swells at 12 second intervals, water temperature a balmy 50
degrees and a nice offshore breeze.

I'll fill you in when there's more to tell.

Marek

**

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Marek,
>
> Please, if you can spare the time from you busy day, give us your
> considered opinion about how often folks get themselves in the kind
of
> mess like these guys who tried to pooh-pooh it and sweep it under
the
> carpet -- and, are they as culpable legally as they almost certainly
> are morally?
>
> I had a business venture go belly up when the president of the
company
> seemed to be embezzling funds, but I couldn't get the Iowa Attorney
> General to investigate because it would have been too costly to the
> state to go over the books to find if there was proof that they
could
> then act upon.
>
> To me it was like I saw a crime but no one wanted to believe me
unless
> I was the one to pay for a full audit by professional CPAs.  Is this
> how it often works -- that it's too much trouble to go after some
> crimes?
>
> What kind of reasoning do you think police used in this case such
that
> it has not yielded any arrests for negligent homicide or something
> like that?
>
> And, how's yer trikking going?  Surfing?
>
> Edg
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <reavismarek@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Boo_lives' explanation seems the most likely to me.  Whenever
you're
> > preparing for trial you're constantly evaluating how your
witnesses
> > will come across to a jury.  Mr. Morris' demeanor and mannerisms
> > would be very off-putting, I would imagine, particularly to a
> > Jefferson County jury pool to whom it could only confirm cult
bizzaro
> > world.
> >
> > **
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "boo_lives" <boo_lives@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutphen@>

MERU,
> > > itself a non-accreditted institution. No wonder he did not want
> > > testify because his non-expertise in pedagogy could be quickly
> > > established.
> > > >
> > > I don't think it's that.  I think it's that bevan comes off
looking
> > > like a mentally imbalanced, slightly hypnotized and kooky
sounding
> > > cultist.  The more bevan talked on the stand using his bizarre
> > > tmo-speak, gayish affectations, and eyes staring up and blinking
> > like
> > > crazy, the more it would seem that MUM didn't restrain Sem
because
> > > crazies like him don't stand out.  Give credit to mum's lawyers
for
> > > realizing that they needed to keep bevan away from the
courtroom.

> > Peace ⤢
> > College,
Maharishi