--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Grate Swan,
>
> I'll reply to your post.  Several others have elbowed me, er, it was me
> wasn't it? -- for having some sort of high-hatting snobby attitude about
> strip club dancers.  And your post seems to meta-talk about the "kind of
> folks" into which my detractors would group me, so maybe you and I can have
> an actual discussion about this set of issues without getting personal as
> Turq did.
>
> Whenever I left a bar or strip club, believe me, no one inside them thought I
> was high hatting.  I look into a person's eyes, and they usually look back
> and see my heart there.  I look at almost all people as being victims of the
> world's marauders,

>and a girl in a strip club is almost always someone who has been in some deep
>psychological straits.

That appears to be based on your speculation and perhaps intuition. Which may
over time have been found to be good truth baromoters for yourself. However,
there is no reason for me to gauge truth by such.

I can think of a number of reasons why the truth may be opposite of what you
propose. First, it takes some bit of self-confidence, and non-attachment to get
naked in front of strangers. Though  most strip clubs appear to be merely
topless not fully nude. I imagine (which is only that) there may be a well
cultured sense of "I am not the body" developed amongst dancers. And not being
much affected by others opinions. Far more healthy traits than many long term
meditators display.

> No mother, no father ever says to their newborn infant, "When you grow up, I
> hope you'll be a stripper, because you'll meet all kinds of wonderful people,
> be a dancing artist, and make a ton of tip money that's in cash, so no taxes!"

Is that a valid critera of whether a job is useful at a particular stage in
ones life? First, dancing is not a career, its a thing done in ones 20's (early
30's at tops).  How many parents are boastfully proud of the jobs their kids do
in their 20's? And yur words imply that things not boasted by parents are
unworthy. Are construction workers, taxi cab drivers, hotel staffs, day care
workers, night watchmen, assistant teachers, clerical workers, car salesmen,
all unworthy -- even despicable -- jobs - just because most kids parents don't
dream of them doing such?

> Yeah, parents everywhere see that as one fucking great career.

um BFD.

> When I see the downtrodden cramped in the corners that life has painted them
> into,

You are talking about  homeless shelters and panhandlers right? I hope you are
not talking about stylish girls driving Beamers and living in nice condos they
own. Which is the lifestyle many dancers can easily afford -- though I believe
many are more modest and prudent --  save, save , saving  their for their
chosen next step in life.

>usually it's compassion that instantly spring up in my heart and mind.

Compassion is always good. Pity and feelings of superiority are not. I hope you
are totally in the compassion camp.

> I see myself completely in their shoes.  I don't think I've ever refused to
> toss some coin to street folks with outstretched hands.

And this means you are a good tipper in strip clubs? Or, I pray you  are not,
are you equating dancers with street folks begging in the streets? Who need
your pity and alms, and who need saving -- by a gallant white knight?

> My heart simply breaks, and I know that if I'd been raised as they,

HUGE presumption on your part -- and says a lot about you, not dancers.

> and if I had had their exact choices, I'd be hardly expected to have chosen
> anything else but what they'd chosen.

Then I guess you would be rational and focused, with eyes on the prize. By
choosing to work ones own hours, and make far more than most jobs, including
lawyers and MBAs their age, not to work 8-5, allowing them to, in many cases,
be with their kids way more, go to school and/or save for the business they
want to start, yes, I think many have made rational and good choices. Did you
make as wise as these  choices when you were in your mid-20's.

> I am only a few smacks upside my head away from being a homeless guy sipping
> out of a bag on a park bench and hating life forever -- but who isn't?

That's a shame -- perhaps you made some poor life choices -- but what does that
have to do with most dancers? IF you are equating them with being homeless
drunks, you are off in some strange white knight savior complexed world of your
one making.

> Tell me of someone's life, and I'll imagine up a few things that could happen
> to them such that they'd be beaten into a permanent depression.  Having a cop
> taser their kid to death might do it for most parents, ya see? I think all
> folks have a sort of bottom-line sense of entitlement, and when that "rule"
> is broken, they are swamped with righteousness or depression --

I assume you are voicing your own experience not projecting such onto dancers.

>either way, a destructive all-time-reality psychological dynamic has taken
>hold of their minds, and all psychic investiture leads to eventual
>disillusionment (a fool and folly) but the price of taking that trip is high:
>lost time, lost life, lost health, etc.

> Even Turq evokes my compassion.

Do you realize how condescending, patronizing and savior-complex a pattern your
words are weaving here, and below.

I cannot imagine what has happened to him that he has such a hair-trigger
cruelty and chicken-hearted cowardice when it comes to toe-to-toe debate. But,
give me some details, and I'll bet that I have have had enough happen to me to
understand his brokenness. I shudder to think what actually happened to him
with, say, Rama, that has him even decades later roiling in such a dark
defensiveness when his truth is challenged by another.

> I labeled the strippers "whores," and yeah, it's a loaded term.

Is it loaded people who use loaded terms? :)

> Technically, it's accurate.  I have not googled it today, but who here hasn't
> read at least one article about the truths about the lives of strippers?

Oh wow. is it really your habit to take one sensationalized story of a group
and extrapolate it upon the whole group?  If so you could have made a killing
being a Reagan speech writer.

Edg, I am not going on. I know you initiated this as a good hearted exchange of
ideas and views. I am honestly giving you my views -- with the intent of not
making personal attacks -- but focusing on your ideas. To the extent that I
have not been able to separate you personally from your ideas -- I apologize --
but the two appear to me to be fairly tightly woven.

Your views appear to me to be simply that -- a view richly nurtured in the
nutrients and fertilizer of your mind, but devoid of much truth value based in
the reality of the world.  You may think the same of me. While I look forward
to possible future exchange of views, I fear I will become repetitious if I
continue here.

My interests are broader than the ones you raise. Dancers as a topic is not
that fascinating for me.  I am more interested in society's views and laws
regarding all sex workers, and sex work. Which more broadly is a market
transaction between consenting adults that does not have substantive harm to
third parties. (some may argue the latter is substantial -- I am open to those
views but don't see them.) I am further interested how far this framework is
applicable -- such as drug laws -- and the horribly failed and expensive war on
drugs. Spending gargantuion amounts of taxpayers money to restrict the freedoms
of consenting adults seems insane to me.

I am also interested in the superiority, savior and paternalistic complexes of
those who feel that those in such consenting transactions are too immature or
stupid to make wise choices about their lives on their own and need
paternalistic aid if not control of their decisions and lives by those who feel
they know better how to fulfill the needs and objectives of that persons or
group of people.

I suppose if we ere going to make any free consenting activities illegal it
would be allowing those in their 20's to join cults -- in that has constrained
and ruined far more lives than drugs or  sex work ever have. And don't even get
me started on rock'n roll!