--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchy...@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@> wrote:

> > > She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and Curtis have interesting
> > > discussions defending their POV. A disagreement with a
> > > POV is a debate, not an ego battle.
> >
> > We must agree to disagree.
> >
> > A debate *IS* an ego battle. By definition.
> > What else could believe that its point of
> > view was "right" enough to debate it with
> > others.
> >

> Fifty people can have fifty POVs.

Including 50 POV on the meaning of "debate". (well 60 POV if you include all
the voices in my head). One contextual meaning of debate stems from "debate
team". In that process, one team, upon a coin flip, is called upon to defend,
or put forth the merits of  one position, the other team the other. If the coin
had been heads and not tails, Team A would be debating, defending, making the
case for, expounding the merits of the other side of the question.  In that
context, "debate" is hardly an ego-bound POV that will be defended to the
death. the position is long-lived until the judges proclaim "Switch!" Lawyers
do the same. The ytake a case. They may have their own opinions and POV. But
they argue the merits of the case for the side they represent.

But the main point I believe is beyond semantics. Whether we use the term
discussion, debate, exploration of ideas, exchange of views, the underlying
phenomenon is to the degree ones personal value, self-esteem, world view, etc
is challenged and destabilized by a counter POV.  On a debate team, members'
personal value, self-esteem, world view are not challenged and destabilized
when the other team presents its best case. A lawyer personal value,
self-esteem, world view is not challenged and destabilized when the opposing
counsel presents his clients best case. If any thing is challenged -- and I
argue even that should not be -- it is ones self-esteem regarding ones
analytical skills, factual knowledge base, depth of conceptual thinking, etc
when faced with a better counter argument. That, to me is an opportunity to
learn, Or at lease admire as you (Raunchy) have done with Curtis and Judy.

However, if ones personal value, self-esteem, world view, etc is tied integral
to ones POV, then a counter view does become a threat to ones internal
appraisals of self-worth. And when this happens, fireworks often ensue. "The
mothership is being attacked, this is life and death situation, all hands on
deck, damn the torpedos, full speed ahead, this is a fight to the death!"

And it can be glorious entertainment to watch such fireworks, to see the
personal ego under attack and see the contortions, energy signatures, emotional
frustration and intellectual hoops of dishonor such a challenged sense of
self-esteem will pursue to infuse life back into the battered soul clinging to
a dying, gasping POV.

>The person who can put forward the best defense of his or her POV is more
>believable and has less ego involvement than the person who puts forward an
>indefensible ego driven fantasy and defends it as "opinion" because his ego is
>too frail to debate.

What is curious is the POV that the output of ones mind, ones opinion, is
beyond reproach, beyond discussion, beyond modification. "I had the thought
damn it, it must be right. By God it IS right! And it is not subject to
refinement or expansion". I think that's a classic description of a
reactionary.

On the opposite side of the spectrum are those who see their opinions and POVs
as works in progress, something yet to be  shaped, polished and perhaps
discarded when a large crack is found in the midst of an -- up to that point --
elegant marble portrait.