TurquoiseB wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunsh...@...> wrote:
>
>> Shemp was specifically asking about *xanax.*
>> What's so difficult about that?
>>
>> Any number of responses have nothing whatsoever
>> to do with that, but are instead trying to peddle
>> some nonsensical junk "treatment" that will
>> do nothing, or else something like xanax (and
>> other psycotropic medications) never would
>> have been necessary in the first place.
>>
>> Talking about fruit diets, "doshas," herbal
>> teas et al when someone is trying their best
>> to get informed opinions on what could be
>> a potent drug just shows, IMO, the desperation
>> of people who will do anythying for attention.
>>

> I have to agree.
>
> The response to Shemp's question has been
> a veritable orgy of "Oh...another opportunity
> to protect my belief in my favorite form of
> Woo Woo by urging someone else to believe in
> it, too."
>
> The article I posted about Mathias Rath and
> the effect that *his* Woo Woo ideas (not to
> mention self-serving desire to make millions
> by selling vitamins) had on South Africa *is*
> relevant. He probably *believes* those ideas,
> but that's not the point. The point is that
> by promoting them with no scientific evidence
> to back them up, and getting officials in the
> South African government to believe them, too,
> Rath effectively murdered several hundred
> thousand South Africans, to whom his ideas
> denied real medical treatment.
>
> Yet again, the paradigm going down here on FFL
> seems to be, "I'm willing to risk anyone's
> well-being but my own to protect my belief
> in my preferred form of Woo Woo." It's fairly
> clear at this point that Nabby would try to
> "help" someone suffering from a broken leg
> by telling them to "get a checking." But to
> "prescribe" Woo Woo alternative health care
> or vitamin or diet "solutions" to someone you
> have never met, over the Internet, and *with
> absolutely no knowledge of what Shemp's symp-
> toms actually are* -- that's just as irres-
> ponsible as Nabby saying, "Get a checking."

I don't think anyone was "prescribing" any alternative health care
stuff.   Instead suggesting things to try.  After all ayurveda is just
biochemistry.  Just like pharmaceutical medications it is a cause/effect
relationship.  Unlike drugs though there are minuscule side effects.
Have you ever taken a psychotropic drug?   They can be very
devastating.  Many mental health professionals like to avoid prescribing
them because of the side effects.  You probably can't get access to Thom
Hartmann's show this morning with his psychiatrist guest who discussed
the relatively short time anti-depressant drugs have been around and
what little we know about them.  Shemp has mentioned using vata churna
so he is concerned with reducing vata and anxiety and panic attacks can
happen with both vata and pitta imbalances.   I suggested he stop
dabbling with ayurveda and find a practitioner.

If herbs are "Woo-Woo" why did a major pharmaceutical company patent
Neem?  That caused a movement in India (I think the government) to
patent all the ayurvedic herbs and declare the patents public domain.
The patenting of naturally growing plants is of course absurd.  But it
just shows you how mercenary the medical industrial complex is.