--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dixon <mdixon.6...@...>
wrote:

> Still dodging the question, eh? How do you know anybody in the photo
of Reagan meeting Afghan Mujaheddin were Taliban or belonged to any
other group?

You're not paying attention, fella. The Taliban are/were a faction of
the radical Muslim Mujahidin.

<Taliban never driven out of Afghanistan? Tell that to Mullah Omar and
his government, tens of thousands of Afghani refugees living in
Pakistan's tribal regions and Obama Bin Laden.

The Taliban is today classified by security analysts as an "alternative
government" in Afghanistan. It operates fifteen Sharia law
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia_law>  courts in the country's
southern provinces handling civil and commercial cases and collects
taxes on harvests in farming areas. Reflecting its persistent power to
intimidate the populace, the Taliban implemented one of the "strictest
interpretation[s] of Sharia law ever seen in the Muslim world
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_world> ", yet still occasionally
updates its code of conduct.[11]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban#cite_note-10>

In mid-2009, it established an ombudsman
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ombudsman>  office in northern Kandahar
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kandahar> , which has been described as a
"direct challenge" to the ISAF [International Security Assistance Force
(ISAF) in Afghanistan].
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban#cite_note-11>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban

= =

Taliban strength in Afghanistan nears military proportionMcClatchy - Wed
Oct 14, 2009

WASHINGTON -- A recent U.S. intelligence assessment has raised the
estimated number of full-time Taliban -led insurgents fighting in
Afghanistan to at least 25,000, underscoring how the crisis has worsened
even as the U.S. and its allies have beefed up their military forces, a
U.S. official said Thursday.
The U.S. official, who requested anonymity because the assessment is
classified, said the estimate represented an increase of at least 5,000
fighters, or 25 percent, over what an estimate found last year.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20091015/wl_mcclatchy/3333450

<"They are radical Muslim Mujahidin. The Taliban is/was a faction of
that group." Sorry, but it sounds like you are equating all Mujaheddin
as radical  Muslims on a level with the Taliban.

Now the Southern Man makes up stuff. Never did I equate the radical
Muslim Mujahidin on the same level with the Taliban. All I did was state
that the Taliban was a faction of the radical Muslim Mujahidin.

The KKK, it could be said, is a faction of the Confederate loving South.
That doesn't mean that all Southerners are members of the KKK. They
certainly aren't.

What's with your bullshit, Dixon?

Don't they call that *painting with a broad brush*, xenaphobic?

There's nothing xenophobic about reporting the facts, Southern Man.

> ________________________________

answer for Robert, you failed. The Question was, How dou you know the
Afganis in that photo were Taliban? Mujaheddin had several factions, one
of which were Taliban. The Northern Alliance helped our special forces
drive the Taliban out of Afghanistan.

> News Flash for Southern Man: The Taliban were never driven out of
Afghanistan by the Northern Alliance or anybody else.

> Equating anybody that opposed the Soviet Union as *Taliban* sounds
...xenophbic.

> Making a distorted, false suggestion like that confirms that don't
have a clue what you're talking about.

> > ____________ _________ _________ __

take control of Afghjanistan till some time in the 90's. The Saudis
backed the Taliban and the US backed the Northern Alliance, who helped
kick the Taliban out of the country.

> > The Southern redneck needs a good history review:
> >

> > Fisking the "War on Terror"
> >
> > by Juan Cole - August 02, 2005
> >
> > Once upon a time, a dangerous radical gained control of the US
Republican Party.

> > Reagan increased the budget for support of the radical Muslim
Mujahidin conducting terrorism against the Afghanistan government to
half a billion dollars a year.

> > One fifth of the money, which the CIA mostly turned over to
Pakistani military intelligence to distribute, went to Gulbuddin
Hikmatyar, a violent extremist who as a youth used to throw acid on the
faces of unveiled girls in Afghanistan.

> > Not content with creating a vast terrorist network to harass the
Soviets, Reagan then pressured the late King Fahd of Saudi Arabia to
match US contributions. He had earlier imposed on Fahd to give money to
the Contras in Nicaragua, some of which was used to create rightwing
death squads. (Reagan liked to sidestep Congress in creating private
terrorist organizations for his foreign policy purposes, which he
branded "freedom fighters," giving terrorists the idea that it was all
right to inflict vast damage on civilians in order to achieve their
goals).

> > Fahd was a timid man and resisted Reagan's instructions briefly, but
finally gave in to enormous US pressure.

> > Fahd not only put Saudi government money into the Afghan Mujahideen
networks, which trained them in bomb making and guerrilla tactics, but
he also instructed the Minister of Intelligence, Turki al-Faisal, to try
to raise money from private sources.

> > Turki al-Faisal checked around and discovered that a young member of
the fabulously wealthy Bin Laden construction dynasty, Usama, was
committed to Islamic causes. Turki thus gave Usama the task of raising
money from Gulf millionaires for the Afghan struggle. This whole effort
was undertaken, remember, on Reagan Administration instructions.

> > Bin Laden not only raised millions for the effort, but helped
encourage Arab volunteers to go fight for Reagan against the Soviets and
the Afghan communists. The Arab volunteers included people like Ayman
al-Zawahiri, a young physician who had been jailed for having been
involved in the assassination of Egyptian president Anwar El-Sadat. Bin
Laden kept a database of these volunteers. In Arabic the word for base
is al-Qaeda.

> > In the US, the Christian Right adopted the Mujahideen as their
favorite project. They even sent around a "biblical checklist" for
grading US congressman as to how close they were to the "Christian"
political line. If a congressman didn't support the radical Muslim Muj,
he or she was downgraded by the evangelicals and fundamentalists.

> > Reagan wanted to give more and more sophisticated weapons to the
Mujahideen ("freedom fighters"). The Pakistani generals were forming an
alliance with the fundamentalist Jamaat-i Islam and begining to support
madrasahs or hardline seminaries that would teach Islamic extremism. But
even they balked at giving the ragtag Muj really advanced weaponry.
Pakistan had a close alliance with China, and took advice from Beijing.

> > In 1985 Reagan sent Senator Orrin Hatch, Undersecretary of Defense
Fred Iklé and others to Beijing to ask China to put pressure on
Pakistan to allow the US to give the Muslim radicals, such as Hikmatyar,
more sophisticated weapons. Hatch succeeded in this mission.

> > By giving the Muj weaponry like the stinger shoulderheld missile,
which could destroy advanced Soviet arms like their helicopter gunships,
Reagan demonstrated to the radical Muslims that they could defeat a
super power.

> > Reagan also decided to build up Saddam Hussein in Iraq as a
counterweight to Khomeinist Iran, authorizing US and Western companies
to send him precursors for chemical and biological weaponry. At one
point Donald Rumsfeld was sent to Iraq to assure Saddam that it was all
right if he used chemical weapons against the Iranians. Reagan had no
taste in friends.

> > On becoming president, George H. W. Bush made a deal with the
Soviets that he would cut the Mujahideen off if the Soviets would leave
Afghanistan. The last Soviet troops departed in early 1989. The US then
turned its back on Afghanistan and allowed it to fall into civil war, as
the radical Muslim factions fostered by Washington and Riyadh turned
against one another and used their extensive weaponry on each other and
on civilians.

> > In the meantime, Saddam, whom the US had built up as a major
military power, invaded Kuwait. The Bush senior administration now had
to take on its former protege, and put hundreds of thousands of US
troops into the Gulf and Saudi Arabia. The radical Muslim extremists
with whom Reagan and Bush had allied in Afghanistan now turned on the
US, objecting strenuously to a permanent US military presence in the
Muslim holy land.

> > From 1994 Afghanistan was increasingly dominated by a faction of
Mujahideen known as Taliban or seminary students (who were backed by
Pakistani military intelligence, which learned the trick from Reagan and
which were flush from all those billions the Reagan administration had
funneled into the region). In 1996 Bin Laden came back and reestablished
himself there, becoming the leader of 5,000 radical Arab volunteers that
Reagan had urged Fahd to help come to Afghanistan back in the 1980s.

> > In the meantime, the US had steadfastly supported Israeli
encroachments on the Palestinian Occupied Territories and the gradual
complete annexation of Jerusalem, the third holiest city to Muslims.

> > Since the outbreak of the first intifada, Israeli troops had
riposted with brutality. Even after the Oslo accords were signed, the
size of Israeli colonies in the Palestinian West Bank and around
Jerusalem doubled.

> > A steady drumbeat of violence against Palestinians by Israelis, who
were stealing their land and clearly intended to monopolize their sacred
space, enraged the Muslim radicals that had been built up and coddled by
Reagan.

> > In 1998, al-Qaeda and al-Jihad al-Islami, two small terrorist groups
established in Afghanistan as a result of the Reagan jihad, declared war
on the United States and Israel (the "Zionists and Crusaders"). After
attacks by al-Qaeda cells on US embassies in East Africa and on the USS
Cole, nineteen of them ultimately used jet planes to attack the Twin
Towers and the Pentagon.

> > The Bush administration responded to these attacks by the former
proteges of Ronald Reagan by putting the old Mujahideen warlords back in
charge of Afghanistan' s provinces, allowing Bin Laden and al-Zawahiri
to escape, declaring that Americans no longer needed a Bill of Rights,
and suddenly invading another old Reagan protege, Saddam's Iraq, which
had had nothing to do with 9/11 and posed no threat to the US. The name
given this bizarre set of actions by Bush was "the War on Terror."

> > In Iraq, the US committed many atrocities, including bombing
campaigns on civilian quarters of cities it had already occupied, and a
ferocious assault on Fallujah, and tortured Iraqi prisoners.

> > In the meantime, the Bush administration put virtually no money or
effort into actually combatting terrorist cells in places like Morocco,
as opposed to putting $200 billion into the Iraq war and aftermath. As a
result, a string of terrorist attacks were allowed to strike at Madrid,
London and elsewhere.

> > Fred Ikle, who had been part of the Reaganist/Chinese Communist
effort to convince Muslim fundamentalist generals in Pakistan--against
their better judgment-- to allow the US to give the radical Muslim
extremists even more sophisticated weapons, wrote an op-ed for the Wall
Street Journal urging the nuking of Mecca.

> > Then in July, 2005, General Richard Myers, the Chairman of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff, announced that there was not actually any "War on
Terror:" ' General Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff,
told the National Press Club on Monday that he had "objected to the use
of the term 'war on terrorism' before, because if you call it a war,
then you think of people in uniform as being the solution." ' (Question:
Does this mean we can have the Bill of Rights back, now?)

> > The American Right, having created the Mujahideen and having
mightily contributed to the creation of al-Qaeda, abruptly announced
that there was something deeply wrong with Islam, that it kept producing
terrorists.

> > = =
> > John "Juan" Ricardo I. Cole is an American scholar,
> > public intellectual, and historian of the modern
> > Middle East and South Asia.
> >
> > He is Richard P. Mitchell Collegiate Professor of
> > History at the University of Michigan. As a commentator
> > on Middle Eastern affairs, he has appeared in print and
> > on television, and testified before the United States
> > Senate.
> >
> > He has published several peer-reviewed books on the
> > modern Middle East and is a translator of both Arabic
> > and Persian. Since 2002, he has written a weblog,
> > Informed Comment.
> > http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Juan_Cole
> > = =
> >
> > http://www.juancole .com/2005/ 08/fisking- war-on-terror- once-upon-
time.html

> > So Robert, do you go to Reverend Wrights church? I mean if the CIA
is in control of Afghan Opium it must be to keep our *uppidy* negros
down, doncha think?

Omar and

Taliban at

> > > Reagan and his boys, used the Taliban, when it was in their
interest, to fight the 'Soviets'...
> > > When the Taliban, did away with the Opium Crops, that was not in
their interests, as the CIA, needs to drug money...