All Swans Start As Ugly Ducklings:  Healthcare Reform In Perspectiveby
Norbrook <http://norbrook.dailykos.com/>  - Dec 26, 2009

Thursday, I wrote a diary entitled Damn, that's an ugly baby!
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/12/24/818769/-Damn,-Thats-An-Ugly-Ba\
by%21>   As the battle over the healthcare legislation in Congress
continues, I thought it would be helpful to remember that this isn't the
end of the process.  Many laws that today we consider "signature" pieces
of legislation were actually very ugly at the beginning.  The important
thing is to remember that they were the beginning.

Why is it important?  Let's switch to another concern: Climate change.
Recently the EPA announced plans to regulate greenhouse gases as a
health hazard. A quick scan of the news shows that this is unwelcome to
corporations and Republicans.  But no one says that the EPA can't
regulate it - the debate is whether it should.  Why is that remarkable,
and what lessons does that have for HCR?

If you ask most environmentalists today about which laws were landmarks,
one of the answers will be the Clean Air Act of 1970
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Air_Act_1970> .  It was the law that
established the air quality standards, and the power to regulate
emissions.  A remarkable achievement, which has led to much better air
quality.   Except, the title of the law isn't the Clean Air Act.  The
actual title of the 1970 act is: The Clean Air Act Extension of 1970.
"An Act to amend the Clean Air Act to provide for a more effective
program to improve the quality of the Nation's air." (emphasis mine)

That's right.  One of the landmark environmental laws wasn't written as
a new law.  It was written to amend an existing law.  That it was a
complete re-write of the law, for all intents and purposes a new law,
does not change the fact that the Clean Air Act was already the law.

The first legislation about air pollution was the Air Pollution Control
Act of 1955. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Pollution_Control_Act>
This law really didn't do much.  It had no enforcement provisions.  It
simply directed the Surgeon General to to conduct research, investigate,
and pass out information "relating to air pollution and the prevention
and abatement thereof."

If you look at it, it's a very weak law.  It still regards air pollution
regulation as a local or state responsibility, not a national one.

Why would we ever think this law was important?  As weak and pathetic as
this law looks today, it's important because it did something else:  It
reserved to Congress the right to control this problem.  It established
the principle that Congress could pass laws relating to air pollution -
in effect, turning what had been a strictly local or state
responsibility into a federal responsibility.  That air pollution is a
cross-border problem, and controlling it should be a federal
responsibility seems blindingly obvious today, but it wasn't then.

In 1963
<http://www.ametsoc.org/sloan/cleanair/cleanairlegisl.html#caa63> , the
actual "Clean Air Act" was passed.  It wasn't very strong either.

It granted $95 million over a three year period to state and local
governments and air pollution control agencies in order to conduct
research and create control programs. This act also recognized the
dangers of motor vehicle exhaust, and it encouraged the development of
emissions standards from these sources as well as from stationary
sources. Interstate air pollution from the use of high sulfur coal and
oil also needed to be reduced; therefore, this act encouraged the use of
technology which removed sulfur from these fuels. To continue action in
this area, the Clean Air Act promoted ongoing research, investigations,
surveys, and experiments

Notice something?  It's still considered the states' responsibility to
regulate or control air pollution.  There's no federal regulatory or
enforcement capability built in.  It's reads as an expanded version of
the 1955 law.  It's weak, toothless, and doesn't seem to be doing much
except to add motor vehicles exhaust to the mix, and increase funding.
It would be ignored, considered a failure, except for one thing:   Every
other "clean air act" is an amendment to this law.  It's the basis of
what we have today.

The amendments came in rapid succession:  The Motor Vehicle Air
Pollution Control Act
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Vehicle_Air_Pollution_Control_Act>
in 1965, which set vehicle emissions standards.  The Air Quality Act of
1967, which for set national1970 Act
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Air_Act_%281970%29> , which many
consider the "real" act, which not only set new standards and federal
powers, it gave a new agency - the Environmental Protection Agency - its
authority to act.   standards for emissions, and set a timetable for
meeting them.  Then the

54 years ago, a weak, flawed piece of legislation was passed.  It didn't
do anything to control air pollution.  It didn't set any standards.  It
didn't have enforcement built into it.  It didn't even have a lot of
funding.  8 years later, another piece of legislation was passed.  It
wasn't much better.  But they were the beginning.  As weak and toothless
as these laws were, they set into law the principles that enabled the
1970 law.

39 years later, the idea that the federal government doesn't have the
power to control air quality, that it shouldn't set emissions standards
is ridiculous.  Few people would agree with you if you said it didn't.
Exactly how strictly various emissions should be regulated, or whether
it's necessary to regulate a particular one is the subject of heated
debate, but not the authority of the government to do so.  Air pollution
standards and their enforcement are taken for granted.

What we should keep in mind as we debate the current healthcare reform
legislation is this: It's the beginning, not the end.  We should regard
this as the equivalent of the 1963 Clean Air Act.  The environmental
movement was able to push for the 1970 Act and get it enacted because
the horrible, terrible, awful, pathetic 1955 Act and its almost as bad
1963 successor existed.  They set the principles of federal
responsibility into law, and are the base on which everything was later
built.

As the current health care reform legislation goes to conference, the
hope is that it will come out better than what the Senate passed.  We
should work to make it that way.

Despite that, whatever emerges from conference will not be pretty. It'll
be an ugly piece of legislation, packed with compromises, weakened
provisions, lacking regulatory teeth, and missing funding for important
areas.  It's not going to be what we dreamed of.

The healthcare reform law isn't what we hoped for - but it is setting a
principle into law.  The idea that the government has the responsibility
to provide - or help to provide - healthcare to all its citizens.  Yes,
this is an awful piece of legislation.  It falls far short of the goal.
Just like the 1963 Clean Air Act, the 1957 Civil Rights Act
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1957> , the Social
Security Act
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_%28United_States%29>  or
any other progressive first law did.
The law can be amended, if we elect more progressives.  We need to keep
working.  It can be the start of what we want - universal, single-payer
healthcare.  No, we didn't get what we wanted this time, but we have a
beginning.  History shows us that previous great progressive
achievements were ugly at the beginning.   Let's not forget that ugly
ducklings can turn into swans, if the egg is allowed to hatch.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/12/26/75325/042