--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jeff.evans60" <jeff.evan...@...> wrote:

> Assuming it was a conscious decision how she was portrayed,
> I think the message the filmmaker was trying to give was
> that the Indians were happy to allow her to live with them
> without trying to force their cultural identity on her.

The reality is less altruistic. In an article in
the Albuquerque Journal at the time of the movie,
Mary McDonnell comments that the decision to not
braid her hair was hers, in conjunction with
costume designers and makeup artists.

They tried the braids, and both women felt that
they made her character look too "severe," almost
uptight, and that was the opposite of what they
wanted to achieve for the character and for the
film. So they tried out various looks and decided
on the one we see in the film.

I remember this because I was still living in
Santa Fe at the time, and had several Native
American friends who were working on the film.
I was trying to lobby them to get me a gig as
an extra or a gopher or something. That never
worked out, but it did make me tend to pay
attention to news items about the movie.

The film was "big business" for Native Americans,
putting many to work in the film. Humorously
enough, very few of them were actually from
the Lakota tribe, so Mary McDonnell was in the
same classes they were trying to learn the
language they had to speak. :-)

Graham Greene (who played Kicking Bird) was my
favorite. He used to come into my fave bar in
Santa Fe a lot. He's actually a member of the
Oneida tribe from Canada, but had gotten to
know Santa Fe during the filming of "Powwow
Highway" the previous year. Great guy.