--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_...@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Premanand" <premanandpaul@> wrote:
> > >
> > > As I understand it from a muslim friend, Hindus take their
> > > mythical writings literally. I guess the question is how
> > > much we need to buy into the idea that there was once human
> > > beings who could do things that seem to defy reason. In
> > > today's world the real miracle would be for people to stop
> > > trying to convince one another that his or her religion /
> > > belief system trumps that of their neighbours. That would
> > > be something.
> >
> > Indeed it would.
> >
> > And it's related to other things I've rapped about
> > recently -- the relationship of subjective experience
> > to "Truth," and the relationship of belief to "Truth."
> >
> > I hold that there *IS* no such relationship.
> >
> > And I hold this speaking as the only person here who
> > has witnessed siddhis being performed. (Unless you
> > believe Nabby, that is.) I witnessed levitation,
> > turning invisible, turning mountains transparent,
> > and many other siddhis numerous times over a period
> > of 14 years.
> >
> > But does that make such things True? Or "Truth?"
> >
> > Not to me. All it means is that I experienced these
> > things. I've seen hang-in-midair-for-minutes-at-a-
> > time levitation *hundreds* of times, but I would not
> > claim that it exists. My subjective experience tells
> > me that it exists, but that is ONLY my subjective
> > experience. Not "Truth."
>
> Pontius Pilate once asked: "What is truth?"  It appears
> that you don't trust your senses to tell you what the
> world is like.

You miss the point entirely. I trust my senses
fully to tell me what I have experienced. What
I *don't* do is call that experience "truth,"
let alone try to convince others that it's
the "truth."

That's YOUR approach, John, and you do it even
when you have NOT experienced the things you
believe in, such as levitation. I have actually
*experienced* levitation and I would never call
its existence "truth," but YOU DO.

The difference between us seems to be that I
do not believe in "one size fits all" and you do.
I do not believe that what I believe constitutes
anything resembling "truth," and you do.